Old 20-08-2006, 12:26 AM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H Linda H is offline

Default Tree for aviary?

wrote:

Shishi gashira is a camellia sasanqua. Are you thinking of the red stemmed maple called 'Senkaki'
(also called 'Sango Kaku')?

Hmm, it's kinda confusing because I wanted to get another one because we
sold that house where I'd featured it in a Japanese style garden and I
really loved that tree.

When I bought it the nurseryman told me it was a Shishi gashira (an Acer
palmatum) and so when I went looking for it on the web, yes the name
kept coming up with the Camellia sasanqua, which yes I found was called
that too.

But it definitely wasn't that. The maple I had didn't have a red stem, no.

I eventually found one by that name that was exactly the same as the one
I had and I since found a couple at nurseries. Maybe they told me the
wrong name?

I just did another search and there were plenty and many called it the
"Lion's Head Maple."

The large picture on this page is definitely it.
http://www.esveld.nl/htmldia/a/acpshi.htm

also he
http://japanese-maple.com/shishigashira_grafted.html

http://www.paghat.com/autumntrees2.html