Old 21-08-2006, 07:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Basia Kulesz Basia Kulesz is offline

Default Eastern Snowball Cutting?

Użytkownik "Elaine" napisał w wiadomości
. ..

Hi everyone, I have a dear friend who has always admired my Mom's Eastern
snowball bush/tree. It is around 20 ft high and really loaded with blooms

in
the springtime. I would like to try rooting a cutting for her as a special
gift before we have to sell my Mom's house. Any special tips you can give
me? Somewhere I read that they will be sterile and not produce blooms. Any
thoughts?

Yes - Eastern snowball flowers are _always_ sterile. However, if you take a
cutting and if it will root, you'll get a plant identical to the parent -
i.e. it will flower all right
And it should root pretty easily, use some good rooting medium (perlite+peat
moss or sand), stick it in a shadow, cover with something transparent, air
from time to time. Cut the sprigs below nodes, they should not be too thick,
try bending - if they break easily with a loud sound, then it's just about
right width. Ane use rooting hormone and keep the ground regularly moist.
One more thought - snowball usually spreads by underground rhizomes or
whatever these are called- perhaps it would be easier just to dig a piece of
the bush, rooted already?
HTH.

Regards, Barbara.