Old 20-08-2006, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Eastern Snowball Cutting?

Hi everyone, I have a dear friend who has always admired my Mom's Eastern
snowball bush/tree. It is around 20 ft high and really loaded with blooms in
the springtime. I would like to try rooting a cutting for her as a special
gift before we have to sell my Mom's house. Any special tips you can give
me? Somewhere I read that they will be sterile and not produce blooms. Any
thoughts?

Thanks,
--
Elaine in Ga
Zone 7b

Old 20-08-2006, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

For pruning
If you do not desire imposing extra injury to your tree or vine- I highly
suggest
reading this book.
And do not use wound dressing.
Once you have read it you will be able to answer your own question.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html

You also would be wise to offer the tree other treatments that address their
requirements.
This book would help someone understand many treatments.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

KICK RICK SANTORUM OUT IN 2006!
Why? See his score card here
http://capwiz.com/lcv/dbq/vote_info/...=&azip=19 380

. ..

Old 20-08-2006, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

John the house is being sold. I am the only caregiver to my Mother in stage
7 Alzheimer's. I really do not have the time to read books right now I just
need a simple answer. Thank you anyway.
Elaine in Ga
Zone 7b
"John A. Keslick, Jr." wrote in message
. ..
For pruning
If you do not desire imposing extra injury to your tree or vine- I highly
suggest
reading this book.
And do not use wound dressing.
Once you have read it you will be able to answer your own question.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html

You also would be wise to offer the tree other treatments that address
their
requirements.
This book would help someone understand many treatments.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books
that
will give them understanding.

KICK RICK SANTORUM OUT IN 2006!
Why? See his score card here
http://capwiz.com/lcv/dbq/vote_info/...=&azip=19 380

. ..

Old 20-08-2006, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Please re-read my original post. I am NOT INTERESTED in PRUNING. I want to
do a simple cutting to root.

I would like very much for someone else to give me recommendations on
whether this can be done on an Eastern Snowball and still get blooms.
Thank you

Elaine in Gad
Zone 7b
"John A. Keslick, Jr." wrote in message
. ..
Thats as simple as you can get for pruning.
Try he http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/sub2.html.

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books
that
will give them understanding.

KICK RICK SANTORUM OUT IN 2006!
Why? See his score card here
http://capwiz.com/lcv/dbq/vote_info/...=&azip=19 380

"Elaine" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

. ..

Old 21-08-2006, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

"Elaine" wrote in message
. ..

Hi everyone, I have a dear friend who has always admired my
Mom's
Eastern snowball bush/tree. It is around 20 ft high and
really
loaded with blooms in the springtime. I would like to try
rooting
a cutting for her as a special gift before we have to sell my
Mom's house. Any special tips you can give me? Somewhere I
read
that they will be sterile and not produce blooms. Any
thoughts?

Thanks,
--
Elaine in Ga
Zone 7b

What does that have to do with trying to propagate the tree/bush?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 21-08-2006, 07:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Użytkownik "Elaine" napisał w wiadomości
. ..

Hi everyone, I have a dear friend who has always admired my Mom's Eastern
snowball bush/tree. It is around 20 ft high and really loaded with blooms

in
the springtime. I would like to try rooting a cutting for her as a special
gift before we have to sell my Mom's house. Any special tips you can give
me? Somewhere I read that they will be sterile and not produce blooms. Any
thoughts?

Yes - Eastern snowball flowers are _always_ sterile. However, if you take a
cutting and if it will root, you'll get a plant identical to the parent -
i.e. it will flower all right
And it should root pretty easily, use some good rooting medium (perlite+peat
moss or sand), stick it in a shadow, cover with something transparent, air
from time to time. Cut the sprigs below nodes, they should not be too thick,
try bending - if they break easily with a loud sound, then it's just about
right width. Ane use rooting hormone and keep the ground regularly moist.
One more thought - snowball usually spreads by underground rhizomes or
whatever these are called- perhaps it would be easier just to dig a piece of
the bush, rooted already?
HTH.

Regards, Barbara.

Old 21-08-2006, 10:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:11:13 -0400, Elaine wrote:

Hi everyone, I have a dear friend who has always admired my Mom's Eastern
snowball bush/tree. It is around 20 ft high and really loaded with blooms in
the springtime. I would like to try rooting a cutting for her as a special
gift before we have to sell my Mom's house. Any special tips you can give
me? Somewhere I read that they will be sterile and not produce blooms. Any
thoughts?

If eastern snowball is Viburnum opulus 'Sterile', the time to take cuttings
would have been in early June -- treat with IBA at 1000 ppm and root in
sand or perlite under mist. You could try that now with the most flexible,
youngest growth you can find --- I'd take a fairly large number of cuttings,
at least 20. I'd try a second set of cuttings with 8000 ppm IBA and
rooting under mist, too, since it's so late in the season.

Any chance the new owners will give your friend permission to take cuttings
next spring?

Kay

Old 21-08-2006, 01:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Barbara and Kay,

You have won the prize for the correct answers!!

This is what I was looking for. Thank you so very much. I was hoping it
wasn't to late to do it now. I will give it a try, if they don't make it I
will go back next summer and ask for more cuttings.

It is a very large tree that was suppose to stay a bush. About 20 ft Either
a Japanese snowball (Viburnum plicatum plicatum) or a
Chinese snowball (V. macrocephalum). I will have to look at the leaves to
make sure.

My friend has been so dear to me during this time I wanted to do something
sweet for her and maybe keep one of them for myself as a memory plant. My
garden is full of plants that have special meanings for family members that
aare still with me and others passed over.

Big cyber ((hug))

Elaine in Ga
Zone 7b

Old 21-08-2006, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 08:29:59 -0400, Elaine wrote:
This is what I was looking for. Thank you so very much. I was hoping it
wasn't to late to do it now. I will give it a try, if they don't make it I
will go back next summer and ask for more cuttings.

V. plicatum seems to root a bit more easily from harder wood cuttings than
V. opulus. V. macrocephalum (Dirr says) should be treated with
5000-10,000 ppm IBA and should be greenwood but not succulent. They also
don't move worth a darn, so should be transplanted ASAP.

If the new owners are amenable, consider pulling a few of the lower branches
down and "stooling" for propagation... then you can pick up your new plants
next June or so.

Kay

Old 22-08-2006, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

Good idea Kay, I've scouted around it looking for something spouting with
roots but no luck. I will try bending a branch down digging a little dirt
around it and place a brick or large stone over it. House is still empty
right now but praying it gets sold quickly
Thanks again
Elaine in Ga
Zone 7b