Old 21-08-2006, 01:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Elaine Elaine is offline

Default Eastern Snowball Cutting?

Barbara and Kay,

You have won the prize for the correct answers!!

This is what I was looking for. Thank you so very much. I was hoping it
wasn't to late to do it now. I will give it a try, if they don't make it I
will go back next summer and ask for more cuttings.

It is a very large tree that was suppose to stay a bush. About 20 ft Either
a Japanese snowball (Viburnum plicatum plicatum) or a
Chinese snowball (V. macrocephalum). I will have to look at the leaves to
make sure.

My friend has been so dear to me during this time I wanted to do something
sweet for her and maybe keep one of them for myself as a memory plant. My
garden is full of plants that have special meanings for family members that
aare still with me and others passed over.

Big cyber ((hug))

Elaine in Ga
Zone 7b
"Basia Kulesz" wrote in message

Użytkownik "Elaine" napisał w wiadomości
. ..

Hi everyone, I have a dear friend who has always admired my Mom's Eastern
snowball bush/tree. It is around 20 ft high and really loaded with blooms

in
the springtime. I would like to try rooting a cutting for her as a
special
gift before we have to sell my Mom's house. Any special tips you can give
me? Somewhere I read that they will be sterile and not produce blooms.
Any
thoughts?

Yes - Eastern snowball flowers are _always_ sterile. However, if you take
cutting and if it will root, you'll get a plant identical to the parent -
i.e. it will flower all right
And it should root pretty easily, use some good rooting medium
(perlite+peat
moss or sand), stick it in a shadow, cover with something transparent, air
from time to time. Cut the sprigs below nodes, they should not be too
thick,
try bending - if they break easily with a loud sound, then it's just about
right width. Ane use rooting hormone and keep the ground regularly moist.
One more thought - snowball usually spreads by underground rhizomes or
whatever these are called- perhaps it would be easier just to dig a piece
of
the bush, rooted already?
HTH.

Regards, Barbara.