Old 23-08-2006, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Possible Clematis id from Knightshayes

On 23/8/06 18:44, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
The names of the possible Clematis with grey-green leaves and pinkish

stems
are hexapetala, ladakhiana and napaulensis. If Charlie, or indeed, anyone
else recognises one of those names for such a Clematis, I'd be very

grateful
to know which!

Not napaulensis because the stems are pale green and the leaves are about
4" long.

hexapetala is syn. for a number of species now all reckoned to be sub
species of hexapetala such as foetida and forsteri all of which come from
New Zealand and are basically evergreen and winter/spring flowering, have
green to yellow scented flowers. definitely the sort of thing you might have
on a wall as a bit tender.

ladakhiana is part of the yellow flowered tibetiana/orientalis group and I
would have thought you would have seen buds if not flowers, but it does have
pinky stems and small grey green leaves.

Can't help beyond that except with a picture!

Many, many thanks, Charlie. C. ladakhiana sounds the most likely. May I
forward your reply to the Head Gardener at Knightshayes? He's as interested
in this as we are. But no, we saw no buds at all, let alone flowers. There
was a very pretty pink Clematis in flower which he tells me is C.
campaniflora - delightful! He also says that seeds will be available a
little later on - would you recommend a trip up there to find some?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk