Old 23-08-2006, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Possible Clematis id from Knightshayes

The names of the possible Clematis with grey-green leaves and pinkish stems
are hexapetala, ladakhiana and napaulensis. If Charlie, or indeed, anyone
else recognises one of those names for such a Clematis, I'd be very grateful
to know which!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-08-2006, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
The names of the possible Clematis with grey-green leaves and pinkish

stems
are hexapetala, ladakhiana and napaulensis. If Charlie, or indeed, anyone
else recognises one of those names for such a Clematis, I'd be very

grateful
to know which!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Not napaulensis because the stems are pale green and the leaves are about
4" long.

hexapetala is syn. for a number of species now all reckoned to be sub
species of hexapetala such as foetida and forsteri all of which come from
New Zealand and are basically evergreen and winter/spring flowering, have
green to yellow scented flowers. definitely the sort of thing you might have
on a wall as a bit tender.

ladakhiana is part of the yellow flowered tibetiana/orientalis group and I
would have thought you would have seen buds if not flowers, but it does have
pinky stems and small grey green leaves.

Can't help beyond that except with a picture!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 23-08-2006, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/8/06 18:44, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Many, many thanks, Charlie. C. ladakhiana sounds the most likely. May I
forward your reply to the Head Gardener at Knightshayes? He's as interested
in this as we are. But no, we saw no buds at all, let alone flowers. There
was a very pretty pink Clematis in flower which he tells me is C.
campaniflora - delightful! He also says that seeds will be available a
little later on - would you recommend a trip up there to find some?

Old 24-08-2006, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 23/8/06 18:44, in article

,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Forward away, I know John and his parents from his time at Cotehele and
involvement in our local HPS group.
Sounds like I should pay him a return visit, pale pink campaniflora? should
be white so its probably crossed with viticella but yes the seeds should be
interesting several new hybrids recently with definite links to
campaniflora. will take a year or two to germinate but resulting plants
should be tough.