Old 24-08-2006, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter C Peter C is offline

Default Poor runner bean crop

'Snap'
Earlier in the year I had a good crop of runner beans and suddenly I
found the same problem. An abubdance of flowers which suddenly fell
off and the beans did not set. Mine are in a shaded spot ,so I do not
think wind was the problem. I did find that they were growing over 7
feet tall so I cut off the tops, I now find that some are stating to
set .
Maybe this was something to do with the problem? It was not a watereing
problem as I keep up to this task.
Peter
(West Yorkshire)

Barney wrote:
Hi,

This years runner bean crop was especially bad for us as the flowers for the
first 4ft of height fell off and failed to set.

Thought it was down to the wind but not so sure.

Anything particular which can be done to prevent the same happening next
year?

Thanks,