Old 24-08-2006, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Poor runner bean crop

Hi,

This years runner bean crop was especially bad for us as the flowers for the
first 4ft of height fell off and failed to set.

Thought it was down to the wind but not so sure.

Anything particular which can be done to prevent the same happening next
year?

Thanks,

Old 24-08-2006, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Snap'
Earlier in the year I had a good crop of runner beans and suddenly I
found the same problem. An abubdance of flowers which suddenly fell
off and the beans did not set. Mine are in a shaded spot ,so I do not
think wind was the problem. I did find that they were growing over 7
feet tall so I cut off the tops, I now find that some are stating to
set .
Maybe this was something to do with the problem? It was not a watereing
problem as I keep up to this task.
Peter
(West Yorkshire)

Old 24-08-2006, 06:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The experts will say it's the high July temps, however my polytunnel crop
sown at the same time as the outdoor ones have been fantastic and are still
on the go whilst the outdoor crop allways looked poor (French climbing
beans)

Trevor
east Yorkshire

Old 24-08-2006, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Trevor wrote:
The experts will say it's the high July temps, however my polytunnel crop
sown at the same time as the outdoor ones have been fantastic and are still
on the go whilst the outdoor crop allways looked poor (French climbing
beans)

I'm tempted to say "not enough water". I also think that your indoor
ones may have had a higher humidity environment. I don't think they
like baking dryness., even with water at the roots.

Old 24-08-2006, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Trevor" wrote in message
. com...
The experts will say it's the high July temps, however my polytunnel crop
sown at the same time as the outdoor ones have been fantastic and are
still on the go whilst the outdoor crop allways looked poor (French
climbing beans)

Trevor
east Yorkshire

I tend to agree with the prolonged high temerature and low humidity/water
theory. I had a couple of feeds of my runner plants, then nothing, now they
are looking good and flowering again and I suppose there is still time for a
crop. French climbers are ok but not as good as previous years.

Old 24-08-2006, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Barney" This years runner bean crop was
especially bad for us as the flowers for the first 4ft of height fell off
and failed to set.
Anything particular which can be done to prevent the same happening next

Someone once said that runner bean flowers set better if they get wet. So
when watering mine I always give the foliage and flowers a light wetting
too. I've never had any failed runner bean crops and have been growing them
for around 10 years now, so perhaps its true. I water/wet mine in the late
evening as the sun starts to go down to avoid scorching the leaves.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 24-08-2006, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter C" wrote in message
oups.com...
'Snap'
Earlier in the year I had a good crop of runner beans and suddenly I
found the same problem. An abubdance of flowers which suddenly fell
off and the beans did not set. Mine are in a shaded spot ,so I do not
think wind was the problem. I did find that they were growing over 7
feet tall so I cut off the tops, I now find that some are stating to
set .
Maybe this was something to do with the problem? It was not a watereing
problem as I keep up to this task.
Peter
(West Yorkshire)

I think it was just too hot.

Mary

Old 24-08-2006, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Barney wrote:
Hi,

This years runner bean crop was especially bad for us as the flowers for the
first 4ft of height fell off and failed to set.

Thought it was down to the wind but not so sure.

Anything particular which can be done to prevent the same happening next
year?

Thanks,

Ditto. Very low crop on all beans -runner and dwarf French. I seemed
to also notice no further setting of flowers during the dry hot spell,
and new flowers are appearing now - after a good few proper rainy days,
and noticeably cooler temps.
What else I noticed is the length of time it took to go from the flower
setting pod to it becoming of harvestable size. I had trouble keeping
up with harvests last year, and this year I find myself keeping a few
days' worth to have a proper dinner serving.

Same thing with the courgettes - they are taking *for ever* to grow to
harvestable size, while last year I was struggling to harvest and
consume them before they got too big.

Cat(h)

Old 24-08-2006, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 00:11:08 +0100, "Barney"
wrote:

This years runner bean crop was especially bad for us as the flowers for the
first 4ft of height fell off and failed to set.

Thought it was down to the wind but not so sure.

Anything particular which can be done to prevent the same happening next
year?

The best runner beans I ever saw, or ate, were in a friend's garden.
They were grown in a half barrel, which had the bottom half filled
with well-rotted horse manure, and the top half with compost; not sure
which sort.
They were watered daily, and produced long tender beans in abundance.
Beans didn't like this years heat and unless you were very diligent,
they would have been struggling for water.
Spraying the flowers with water also helps them to set.
Having said all that , my beans have been very disappointing this year
also!

Pam in Bristol
Old 24-08-2006, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi,

This years runner bean crop was especially bad for us as the flowers for the
first 4ft of height fell off and failed to set.

Thought it was down to the wind but not so sure.

Anything particular which can be done to prevent the same happening next
year?

Thanks,

Ours have been very good------------I tried them in a long container
up against a fence to see what would happen and I have had to crop
daily to keep up with the growth! We certainly have had a good summer
here in the West of Sotland, not the searing heat and dryness of "down
south" and have watered daily as well and fed with tomorite.
Elizabeth in Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Removex to reply

Old 24-08-2006, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Barney" wrote in message
: Hi,
:
: This years runner bean crop was especially bad for us as the flowers for
the
: first 4ft of height fell off and failed to set.
:
: Thought it was down to the wind but not so sure.
:
: Anything particular which can be done to prevent the same happening next
: year?
:
: Thanks,
:
Mine have been the best ever in 33 years of allotment gardening. I have done
nothing different this year but I notice people are now 'out' when I arrive
with more beans lol

Old 24-08-2006, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote after...

"Peter C" grumbled...
Earlier in the year I had a good crop of runner beans and suddenly I
found the same problem. An abubdance of flowers which suddenly fell
off and the beans did not set. Mine are in a shaded spot ,so I do not
think wind was the problem. I did find that they were growing over 7
feet tall so I cut off the tops, I now find that some are stating to
set .
Maybe this was something to do with the problem? It was not a watereing
problem as I keep up to this task.

I think it was just too hot.

I do too, killed the peas as well.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 24-08-2006, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Barney" wrote in message
Hi,

This years runner bean crop was especially bad for us as the flowers for
the first 4ft of height fell off and failed to set.

Thought it was down to the wind but not so sure.

Anything particular which can be done to prevent the same happening next
year?

Thanks,

I woulod think almost certainly the prolonged dry spell.
Mine have been dropping flowers which they have not set. However we are now
picking twice a week from 12 plants, which all I have put in this year.
Had the same problem with sweet peas, they have only flowered after
attaining a height of about 4 foot, buds were dying and dropping off. Alas
they now have mildew on the leaves.
One old remedy is to trench, line bottom with torn up newspaper, soak well,
top up with manure, then lay soil on top, the paper holds the moisture
better than anything. Guess who didnt do that this year?
Regards
Cineman

Old 26-08-2006, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
Ditto. Very low crop on all beans -runner and dwarf French. I seemed
to also notice no further setting of flowers during the dry hot spell,
and new flowers are appearing now - after a good few proper rainy

days,
and noticeably cooler temps.

I have a slightly different problem; my runner beans have been fine up
to now, but just in the last couple of days some of the youngest pods
have turned yellow and started to shrivel up. The French beans are
fine. Something similar happened last year as well.

I've assumed it's lack of water and given them a good soaking, but does
anyone have any other suggestions?

Rhiannon
Old 27-08-2006, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cineman" wrote in message
. uk...

"Barney" wrote in message
[...]

Short answer is-don't know, but it could be related to the ambient
humidity which rises through July to September in the UK.

Pollination of tomatoes is difficult early in the season (June) because of
low green house humidities. A fine water mist spray on to the flowers is
then recommended.
My beans have not pollinated well in Devon where the summer has been more
moist then elsewhere. They are now picking up as the weather becomes cooler
and damper.
Next year try misting the flowers early in the season to get an earlier
set-nothing to lose.
Regards
David T