Old 24-08-2006, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Poor runner bean crop

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 00:11:08 +0100, "Barney"
wrote:

This years runner bean crop was especially bad for us as the flowers for the
first 4ft of height fell off and failed to set.

Thought it was down to the wind but not so sure.

Anything particular which can be done to prevent the same happening next
year?

The best runner beans I ever saw, or ate, were in a friend's garden.
They were grown in a half barrel, which had the bottom half filled
with well-rotted horse manure, and the top half with compost; not sure
which sort.
They were watered daily, and produced long tender beans in abundance.
Beans didn't like this years heat and unless you were very diligent,
they would have been struggling for water.
Spraying the flowers with water also helps them to set.
Having said all that , my beans have been very disappointing this year
also!

Pam in Bristol