Old 24-08-2006, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Poor runner bean crop

Barney wrote:
Hi,

This years runner bean crop was especially bad for us as the flowers for the
first 4ft of height fell off and failed to set.

Thought it was down to the wind but not so sure.

Anything particular which can be done to prevent the same happening next
year?

Thanks,

Ditto. Very low crop on all beans -runner and dwarf French. I seemed
to also notice no further setting of flowers during the dry hot spell,
and new flowers are appearing now - after a good few proper rainy days,
and noticeably cooler temps.
What else I noticed is the length of time it took to go from the flower
setting pod to it becoming of harvestable size. I had trouble keeping
up with harvests last year, and this year I find myself keeping a few
days' worth to have a proper dinner serving.

Same thing with the courgettes - they are taking *for ever* to grow to
harvestable size, while last year I was struggling to harvest and
consume them before they got too big.

Cat(h)