Old 24-08-2006, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
madgardener madgardener is offline

Default Hopefully someone here will know the answer to this

Scooter the Mighty wrote:
This is really more of a bonsai question, but the bonsai group seems
dead.

Do deciduous trees need any light during the winter after their leaves
fall off? The reason I ask is I want to get a bonsai tree that isn't
suitable for my zone. Rather than wintering it outside where it will
likely freeze and die, I want to have it go through dormancy in a
refrigerator (or maybe my garage). It would be dark in there, but then
the tree wouldn't have any leaves so I'm kind of thinking it wouldn't
matter.

more likely it would be better if you wintered it in your garage if it
has a window and doesn't freeze but stayed around upper 30's or lower
40's. The fridge would be the death of it because there'd be too much
dark. Think about that one for a second........it WOULD matter, as the
sun still shines during winter, as well as moisture, etc......you'll
have to cut back on watering, but not stop completely. What is the tree
by the way? Best thing is to put the bonsai in front of a southern
exposure window in the garage, or a colder room in front of the window.
Water once a month, unless it's warmer than 45 degrees, and if it is,
test the soil's dampness with your finger. Do you have a back porch the
bonsai could winter over?
maddie