Old 24-08-2006, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies Emrys Davies is offline

Default Biting insects!

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Plantaganet wrote:
Hi,

2006 seems to be one of the worst years for biting insects when
gardening, at least it is for me! I only have to step out into my
garden and I am immediately attacked by swarms of the blighters, or
should it be biters? I am at the moment enduring many sleepless

nights
trying not to scratch my arms and ankles that are covered with

insect
bites.
I remember once being told by a seasoned angler, that Atkinson's
Lavender Water is just the job for keeping all flies and midges

away,
Unfortunately, I find that it is not available now. Is there any

other
tried and tested product that will allow me to enter my garden,

without
being attacked by the insect hordes?

For what it's worth, I'll pass on my local chemist's advice: take
vitamine B capsules each day for the period that you will be exposed

the biting critters. You apparently excrete the excess through your
sweat glands, and it makes you less attractive to the biters. The
amount that your body metabolises goes to giving you a shiny coat and
stronger claws ;-). I used it hill walking in a very midgey location,
and whether it was down to that, or to the lower numbers, I who
normally swell like the Michelin Man was left entirely alone.

Cat(h)

I have suffered considerably from these midges over the years as I am
very susceptible to their bites to such an extent that I sought medical
advice.

Recently ( 7.8.06) I saw a fairly extensive article in the Daily
Telegraph (Health) headed 'Don't let the midges bug you'. It
highlighted the fact that The Royal Marines at Faslane are buying Avon
body spray in bulk to fight off midges. It is reputed to be a powerful
midge repellent. The Soft and Fresh Dry Oil Body Spray (£2;
avonshop.co.uk) provides an oily protective layer so effective that the
soldiers buy it in bulk.

Consequently, I very recently purchased 150ml of the product from my
Avon Lady (£2.50) and I have had no bites on the three or so occasions
that I have used it.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.