Old 24-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Registered User

Location: Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom.
Question Biting insects!

Hi,

2006 seems to be one of the worst years for biting insects when gardening, at least it is for me! I only have to step out into my garden and I am immediately attacked by swarms of the blighters, or should it be biters? I am at the moment enduring many sleepless nights trying not to scratch my arms and ankles that are covered with insect bites.
I remember once being told by a seasoned angler, that Atkinson's Lavender Water is just the job for keeping all flies and midges away, Unfortunately, I find that it is not available now. Is there any other tried and tested product that will allow me to enter my garden, without being attacked by the insect hordes?
Old 24-08-2006, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Biting insects!

Plantaganet wrote:
Hi,

2006 seems to be one of the worst years for biting insects when
gardening, at least it is for me! I only have to step out into my
garden and I am immediately attacked by swarms of the blighters, or
should it be biters? I am at the moment enduring many sleepless nights
trying not to scratch my arms and ankles that are covered with insect
bites.
I remember once being told by a seasoned angler, that Atkinson's
Lavender Water is just the job for keeping all flies and midges away,
Unfortunately, I find that it is not available now. Is there any other
tried and tested product that will allow me to enter my garden, without
being attacked by the insect hordes?

For what it's worth, I'll pass on my local chemist's advice: take
vitamine B capsules each day for the period that you will be exposed to
the biting critters. You apparently excrete the excess through your
sweat glands, and it makes you less attractive to the biters. The
amount that your body metabolises goes to giving you a shiny coat and
stronger claws ;-). I used it hill walking in a very midgey location,
and whether it was down to that, or to the lower numbers, I who
normally swell like the Michelin Man was left entirely alone.

Cat(h)

Old 24-08-2006, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Plantaganet wrote:
[...]

I have suffered considerably from these midges over the years as I am
very susceptible to their bites to such an extent that I sought medical
advice.

Recently ( 7.8.06) I saw a fairly extensive article in the Daily
Telegraph (Health) headed 'Don't let the midges bug you'. It
highlighted the fact that The Royal Marines at Faslane are buying Avon
body spray in bulk to fight off midges. It is reputed to be a powerful
midge repellent. The Soft and Fresh Dry Oil Body Spray (£2;
avonshop.co.uk) provides an oily protective layer so effective that the
soldiers buy it in bulk.

Consequently, I very recently purchased 150ml of the product from my
Avon Lady (£2.50) and I have had no bites on the three or so occasions
that I have used it.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 24-08-2006, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 'Avon Calling' on the Royal Marines

almost as good as all the Royal Navy chaps who went to Roedean Girls School
in Brighton ;-))

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 25-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrys Davies
wrote in message
oups.com...[color=blue][i]

snip
Recently ( 7.8.06) I saw a fairly extensive article in the Daily
Telegraph (Health) headed 'Don't let the midges bug you'. It
highlighted the fact that The Royal Marines at Faslane are buying Avon
body spray in bulk to fight off midges. It is reputed to be a powerful
midge repellent. The Soft and Fresh Dry Oil Body Spray (£2;
avonshop.co.uk) provides an oily protective layer so effective that the
soldiers buy it in bulk.

Consequently, I very recently purchased 150ml of the product from my
Avon Lady (£2.50) and I have had no bites on the three or so occasions
that I have used it.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.
-----
Thanks for the above Emrys, I have this very morning ordered the Avon body spray. After doing so, 'she who must be obeyed' told me that, had I asked her about my midge problem, she would have told me that besides the RM Faslane fellas using gallons of the stuff. The BBC OB television cameracrews always stock up with it before they go filming in the Scottish Highlands. I have also been asked to thank you for the Avon online shopping info., especially as our Avon rep. has long since stopped calling.

Happy midge free gardening,
Plantaganet

Old 25-08-2006, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue Sue is offline

50 mg Vitamin B1 (Benerva) should do the job. My husband and I take one a
day at the start of summer.

I think it is not so much that you will not be bitten but more that you will
not suffer the same reaction to the bite.

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Old 26-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Registered User

Location: Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom.
Smile

Sue wrote in reply: 50 mg Vitamin B1 (Benerva) should do the job. My husband and I take one a day at the start of summer.

I think it is not so much that you will not be bitten but more that you will
not suffer the same reaction to the bite.

--
I'll try Benerva as well as the spray. Perhaps I WILL soon be able to sleep through the nights without the infernal itching. Thanks for your reply.

Plantaganet
Old 26-08-2006, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:43:34 +0100, Plantaganet
wrote:

2006 seems to be one of the worst years for biting insects when
gardening, at least it is for me! I only have to step out into my
garden and I am immediately attacked by swarms of the blighters, or
should it be biters? I am at the moment enduring many sleepless nights
trying not to scratch my arms and ankles that are covered with insect
bites.

An interesting thread, as I have said to several friends that I think
the long hot spell killed off all the flies etc. I can never remember
being able to have windows and doors open with no invasion of insects;
nothing biting; no creatures buzzing round the bedroom at night.
I had the first fly in the house, that I'd noticed, last week.
My bottle of Avon Skin-so-soft has been unused!

Pam in Bristol
Old 27-08-2006, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

2006 seems to be one of the worst years for biting insects when
gardening, at least it is for me! I only have to step out into my

I had the first fly in the house, that I'd noticed, last week.
My bottle of Avon Skin-so-soft has been unused!

Pam in Bristol

I read the original thread on this subject and have lost the thread (pun!)
can you tell me which Avon product the soldiers were using to protect
themselves
I would like to try it. the Skin-so-soft one may be a bit efemminate for me.
Bob

Old 27-08-2006, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

2006 seems to be one of the worst years for biting insects when
gardening, at least it is for me! I only have to step out into my

I had the first fly in the house, that I'd noticed, last week.
My bottle of Avon Skin-so-soft has been unused!

Pam in Bristol

I read the original thread on this subject and have lost the thread (pun!)
can you tell me which Avon product the soldiers were using to protect
themselves
I would like to try it. the Skin-so-soft one may be a bit efemminate for me.
Bob

Maybe this will make you open to the idea. ;-)

"Avon's spray finds calling as midge repellent for Royal Marines
ARTHUR MACMILLAN
THEY are famed for their ability to operate at sea, in the jungle or in the
Arctic wastes and freezing cold of Norway. Battles throughout the centuries
have won the Royal Marine Commandos a reputation as one of the world's elite
fighting forces.
And as the last line of security in guarding Britain's nuclear weapons, they
are pivotal to the Defence of the Realm.

But it appears that on the home front our toughest soldiers are prepared to
pander to their softer side to combat Scotland's most persistent foe: the
midge.
For years the Marines at Faslane who guard nuclear missiles and the
submarines capable of firing them have looked for an answer. They've finally
found it in a brand of women's skin cream.
Instead of using mosquito repellent issued by their unit, soldiers and
workers at the base are buying Avon body lotion to repel midges on the West
Coast. The company traditionally associated with images of well-dressed
women selling cosmetics door-to-door is experiencing an unexpected boom
thanks to the pesky insect. Neil Smith, a Royal Navy spokesman at HMS Clyde,
near Helensburgh, said: "It's not official kit but nothing works better and
the Marines are buying it themselves because the midges are so bad up
there."
The wonder cure is a £5 bottle of dry oil body spray from Avon's Skin So
Soft range. The midge problem at the base where Trident missiles and
Vanguard submarines are stationed is so bad it recently installed a
MidgeEater machine at the front gate. Workers at the camp can often be seen
wearing midge nets on their heads."
http://heritage.scotsman.com/ingenui...?id=1819182005

OTOH, the repellent called OFF may better suit your personal image! You
could even supply your own prefix.....
http://www.offprotects.com/insect-repellent/
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-08-2006, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Plantaganet
writes

Hi,

2006 seems to be one of the worst years for biting insects when
gardening, at least it is for me! I only have to step out into my
garden and I am immediately attacked by swarms of the blighters, or
should it be biters? I am at the moment enduring many sleepless nights
trying not to scratch my arms and ankles that are covered with insect
bites.
I remember once being told by a seasoned angler, that Atkinson's
Lavender Water is just the job for keeping all flies and midges away,
Unfortunately, I find that it is not available now. Is there any other
tried and tested product that will allow me to enter my garden, without
being attacked by the insect hordes?

Lavender Oil is good at repelling flies. You can buy it in Boots,
Holland and Barrett or most good quality health stores. Make sure it is
a good make and not some of the muck sold as lavender oil. You will
need to do a patch test on your skin, as a few people are allergic to
it. You can also use citronella oil (available at the same places) but
must not use it on your skin. Light a church candle (doesn't have to be
expensive) and let it burn for a while so that a pool of wax forms.
Blow it out, add a few drops of oil to the pool and then re-light. Do
not drop the oil on to the flame - it can have spectacular effects. If
you wear old clothes for gardening, you can apply a few drops to the
cuffs and ankles of the clothes, as well as various other parts, as long
as they do not touch your skin. Do not leave stale water lying about in
pots and do not leave animal pooh lying around in the garden (not that
you would. These attract mozzies and horse flies. Also, you could
try hanging strips of tissue or cotton, to which a few drops of the oil
has been applied, in your window.

As an aside, lavender oil is great for helping you relax at bedtime. A
few drops on the pillow is all you need. Lavender flowers also deter
many insects and you can make cakes using the flowers as well as using
them in the normal way.

--
June Hughes

Old 28-08-2006, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

wrote:

2006 seems to be one of the worst years for biting insects when

idges are so bad up
there."
The wonder cure is a £5 bottle of dry oil body spray from Avon's Skin So
Soft range. The midge problem at the base where Trident missiles and

OTOH, the repellent called OFF may better suit your personal image! You
could even supply your own prefix.....
http://www.offprotects.com/insect-repellent/
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Many thanks folks
Guess I'll wait for the doorbell to be ringing with my supply,
just hope the missus' don't think it's strange.
Cheers
Bob

Old 08-09-2006, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
:
Putting masculine pride aside, I sent for Avon SSS body oil last week,
received delivery within three days (good ole Avon).

Our garden backs on to a wilderness with deer and TICKS in, which when
scrabbling in the undergrowth always get me (the ticks, that is, Not the
deer).
well today,smothered myself in said stuff and braved the garden to pull down
some golden hop.
never got a bite! many thanks for your response, I can now garden in peace.
With Thanks,
Bob

Old 09-09-2006, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert Wooster wrote:
well today,smothered myself in said stuff and braved the garden to

pull down
some golden hop.
never got a bite!

I'm not surprised the insects stay away, given how foul Avon
Skin-So-Soft smells. It is probably marginally better than DEET though.

Rhiannon