Old 24-08-2006, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman cineman is offline

Default Poor runner bean crop

"Barney" wrote in message
Hi,

This years runner bean crop was especially bad for us as the flowers for
the first 4ft of height fell off and failed to set.

Thought it was down to the wind but not so sure.

Anything particular which can be done to prevent the same happening next
year?

Thanks,

I woulod think almost certainly the prolonged dry spell.
Mine have been dropping flowers which they have not set. However we are now
picking twice a week from 12 plants, which all I have put in this year.
Had the same problem with sweet peas, they have only flowered after
attaining a height of about 4 foot, buds were dying and dropping off. Alas
they now have mildew on the leaves.
One old remedy is to trench, line bottom with torn up newspaper, soak well,
top up with manure, then lay soil on top, the paper holds the moisture
better than anything. Guess who didnt do that this year?
Regards
Cineman