Old 19-03-2003, 11:56 PM
DGiunti

Default mushrooms

simy1 writes:

"Jessica" wrote
Might not be a true gardening question, but I had a goldmine of Shaggy
manes
growing all throughout my yard last fall. My question is, do they come back
only in the fall or can I expect them to come in spring too? I moved to
this
place last summer and missed out what mushrooms came in spring.

Also, are they good cooking mushrooms? I haven't been brave enough to eat
them, even though I'm positive they are indeed Shaggy Manes which I
understand are edible.

Thanks,
Jessica

I am bitterly envious of your good fortune. Shaggies are choice eating
and they will come back (depending on rainfall and temperature, but
more in the fall than in the spring - so don't despair if the spring
flush is not there). To grow your own mushrooms, get any of the kits
offered by www.fungi.com. They have indoors and outdoors kits, for
stumps, logs, lawns, compost piles, wood chips piles. It is nice to
have two or three varieties of mushrooms with staggered flushes. I
have oyster and skiitake in logs.

I think that what Jessica wants to know is what she needs to do to keep the
Shaggies (which I have never been presented) going. What do they digest (that
needs to be left ... to rot) to make the reproductive bodies?

It could be one of those sorts of problems that "just cleaning things up"
would ruin!

David Giunti email: unity
What is the question? Gertrude Stein's last words
No one mouth is big enough to utter the whole thing. Alan Watts

On Display in the UK
http://www.web-gallery.co.uk