Old 19-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Minteeleaf

Default mushrooms

Jessica wrote:

Might not be a true gardening question, but I had a goldmine of Shaggy manes
growing all throughout my yard last fall. My question is, do they come back
only in the fall or can I expect them to come in spring too? I moved to this
place last summer and missed out what mushrooms came in spring.

Also, are they good cooking mushrooms? I haven't been brave enough to eat
them, even though I'm positive they are indeed Shaggy Manes which I
understand are edible.

Thanks,
Jessica

My brother used to gather wild mushrooms in the woods near
where we used to live. One of the gustatory delights of my life
was one morning when he walked in bearing about 5 lbs of Shaggy Manes.
He had just picked them.
He sauteed them in butter as soon as I sliced them.
A more exquisite meal I have never had. They were gloriously fresh.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about their life cycle etc.
I wish I could help, but I can't.

Minteeleaf, who still remembers those exquisite mushrooms
30 years ago.