Old 20-03-2003, 12:32 AM
MD

Default Question Schomborgkia Tibicinis?

I'm gonna try and slab it in some way later this spring or summer. The
spikes are starting to go off and it looks as if 2-3 of the other bulbs have
spikes forming at their tops so...for now it's status quo. I'll let you
know what I end up doing. It's a nice plant I'm stoked to have it.

MD

From: "Gene Schurg"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.orchids
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:57:35 GMT
Subject: Question Schomborgkia Tibicinis?

MD,

Since I can't see your plant I don't know if this would work.

Could you wire the plant and pot to a mount and then hang the whole thing
outside for the summer. The would give it the airmovement and you wouldn't
have to worry about the pot sitting in a puddle of water. If you orient it
correctly perhaps you could "train" the plant to grow onto the mount over
time and then remove the pot someday.

Good Growing,
Gene

P. S. I'm off to "train" my plants.....They have the "play dead" command
down good but they don't "fetch" worth a darn.

"MD" wrote in message ...
I appreciate all the info. It's a nice plant. Since it is potted and the
mother plant was also potted...actually in a slotted container, think I
will go that route when I do repot it. It has a lot of growing room in

the
current plastic pot. The thing that worries me is that it may get top

heavy
and there is no weight at the base. Maybe I'll find something ceramic to
put the plastic pot in.

MD

From: (Elpaninaro)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.orchids
Date: 17 Mar 2003 05:17:21 GMT

This plant has 12 tubes/bulbs and 2 stalks that are a few inches in

length
each. I paid $55 for mine and that was from a guy I used to think

liked me.
I bought it from the most expensive seller here in no-county san diego

but,
like you, I saw it and had to have it. This place is really expensive

but
has great plants...used to belong to someone else who was not cheap but

not
as costly as these new guys. Still, they have great plants. This

plant is
currently in a 10" pot with very small media about 2" deep...the rest

is
foam. I want to slab it but am afraid it will mess up the

flowering...any
suggestions?

Hi MD,

$55 is not too bad for a plant of that size. Despite how common these

plants
are in the wild, they are not always easy to find from vendors-

especially in
this size. I think the sheer size of the plants probably scares many
prospective buyers LOL.

As for slabbing, I think you can wait until after flowering if you like-

and I
would definitely advise you wait. The vendor obviously knows his stuff

and has
potted it appropriately. You could probably keep it like that with no

worries.

Take care,

Tom.