Old 26-08-2006, 01:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Organic weed control

"Adam" wrote in message
Hello everyone

I am minded to try gardening organically in my new garden. If I'm brutally
honest, I'm not sure I completely know why I want to do so, but if nothing
else it sounds like a challenge. I'd be interested to hear some thoughts

on
the pros and cons of organic gardening.

Now I'm not planning to be a complete organic fascist. If some problem
arises which is a bugger to solve by organic methods but can be easily
solved by some nice little spray of something decidedly non-organic, then
I'll probably make an exception.

I think I may have hit my first such problem, namely keeping the weeds in

my
lawn under control. The dandelions are doing particularly well at the
moment. My question is are there any organic methods of controlling them,
short of digging each one up individually?

Many thanks for any suggestions

Adam

the absolute best way is with a garden knife and cutting each weed off just
under the soil. Time consuming but quite therapeutic on hot sunny
afternoons.

Salt will kill off many weeds either as a spray solution or simply
sprinkling it over the weed. You do run the risk however of poisoning your
earth. You will also likely take out surrounding grasses or plants.

Hot water over the weed will also knock it back. Again you will takr out
grasses and plants.

Its posible to buy organic weed killers made from various natural oils that
will dehydrate weeds however they are non-selective and will kill all
plants.

If you want to target weeds you either need to pull/knife them individually
or use a synthetic target weed killer.

rob