Old 26-08-2006, 01:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Organic weed control

"Adam" wrote in message
Hello everyone

I am minded to try gardening organically in my new garden. If I'm brutally
honest, I'm not sure I completely know why I want to do so, but if nothing
else it sounds like a challenge. I'd be interested to hear some thoughts

on
the pros and cons of organic gardening.

Now I'm not planning to be a complete organic fascist. If some problem
arises which is a bugger to solve by organic methods but can be easily
solved by some nice little spray of something decidedly non-organic, then
I'll probably make an exception.

I think I may have hit my first such problem, namely keeping the weeds in

my
lawn under control. The dandelions are doing particularly well at the
moment. My question is are there any organic methods of controlling them,
short of digging each one up individually?

Many thanks for any suggestions

Adam

the absolute best way is with a garden knife and cutting each weed off just
under the soil. Time consuming but quite therapeutic on hot sunny
afternoons.

Salt will kill off many weeds either as a spray solution or simply
sprinkling it over the weed. You do run the risk however of poisoning your
earth. You will also likely take out surrounding grasses or plants.

Hot water over the weed will also knock it back. Again you will takr out
grasses and plants.

Its posible to buy organic weed killers made from various natural oils that
will dehydrate weeds however they are non-selective and will kill all
plants.

If you want to target weeds you either need to pull/knife them individually
or use a synthetic target weed killer.

rob

Old 27-08-2006, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Adam writes
Hello everyone

I am minded to try gardening organically in my new garden. If I'm brutally
honest, I'm not sure I completely know why I want to do so, but if nothing
else it sounds like a challenge. I'd be interested to hear some thoughts on
the pros and cons of organic gardening.

Pros - 1) less hassle. You're not having to remember to apply
fertilisers and sprays at intervals during the year.

2) a garden which steadily grows richer in wildlife, which is a joy to
explore

Cons - 1) you need to be prepared to tolerate a certain level of pest
damage - for example, your roses will attract greenfly, which will then
be food for small birds who will be attracted to your garden and kill
further insects. But if can't tolerate the initial greenfly for a few
days, then organic gardening isn't for you.

2) you need patience. If your garden has been tended with a lot of
pesticides, you won;t have much of a wild population. The plant eating
insects will move in first, and it'll take longer to attract the
predators. You'll see steady improvements over 5 years, but the first
year may be depressing.

Now I'm not planning to be a complete organic fascist. If some problem
arises which is a bugger to solve by organic methods but can be easily
solved by some nice little spray of something decidedly non-organic, then
I'll probably make an exception.

That's a mistake. You'll take out the predators as well as the pest and
be back to square one. Glyphosate for persistent weeds is probably OK, a
systemic pesticide for your scle insect wilkl have longer lasting
effects.

I think I may have hit my first such problem, namely keeping the weeds in my
lawn under control.

Consider why you need to do this. A mixed lawn of daisies, self heal,
bedstraw etc is a joy (I agree dandelion are not the most attractive).
If you want a lawn which is purely grass, then you will find this
difficult to achieve organically.

--
Kay
Old 27-08-2006, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
[...]

I've seen hardly any aphids this year, even on the two roses I have. I
assumed it was too dry.

2) you need patience. If your garden has been tended with a lot of
pesticides, you won;t have much of a wild population. The plant eating
insects will move in first, and it'll take longer to attract the
predators. You'll see steady improvements over 5 years, but the first year
may be depressing.

It didn't take five years for us and the first year was hopeful rather than
depressing. After four years I have a garden to be proud of in terms of
production and this year has been the least labour intensive. I expect it to
get better every year, which will be good as we develop more aches!

The effect on wildlife is important, I think, and the effect on the general
soil condition. OK, our garden is an organic oasis round here but it's given
us great satisfaction and at no financial cost except for seeds.

Now I'm not planning to be a complete organic fascist. If some problem
arises which is a bugger to solve by organic methods but can be easily
solved by some nice little spray of something decidedly non-organic, then
I'll probably make an exception.

That's a mistake. You'll take out the predators as well as the pest and be
back to square one. Glyphosate for persistent weeds is probably OK, a
systemic pesticide for your scle insect wilkl have longer lasting effects.

But it's really not difficult to pull out a few weeds every time you go in
the garden. If you want a 100% weed free garden that won't suit you, as Kay
said you'll have to spend a lot more organised time and money to keep it
sterile.

I think I may have hit my first such problem, namely keeping the weeds in
my
lawn under control.

Consider why you need to do this. A mixed lawn of daisies, self heal,
bedstraw etc is a joy (I agree dandelion are not the most attractive).

Sorry to disagree again but I've always believed that if dandelions were
rare we'd pay a lot for them, the flowers are very beautiful. I let them
flower then pull of the heads before they clock, that way I get a lot of
beautiful flowers.

But I don't have a lawn, the greatest waste of ground, chemicals, water and
energy which has ever been devised, in my opinion :-)

Mary

Old 27-08-2006, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vinegar as a natural organic weed killer.
http://www.moscowfood.coop/archive/V...illsWeeds.html

Old 28-08-2006, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

George.com wrote:
"Adam" wrote in message

[...]
I think I may have hit my first such problem, namely keeping the weeds in

my
lawn under control. The dandelions are doing particularly well at the
moment. My question is are there any organic methods of controlling them,
short of digging each one up individually?

Many thanks for any suggestions

Adam

the absolute best way is with a garden knife and cutting each weed off just
under the soil. Time consuming but quite therapeutic on hot sunny
afternoons.

[...]

Dandelions in particular appreciate this treatment: they reward your
efforts by giving you at least two new crowns for every top you cut
off. An old table knife is one of my favourite garden tools, but you
have to use it to get the whole root out. I've found, though, that any
tip left in place deeper than the length of the blade won't usually
come back if you firm the soil back.

If there isn't somewhere convenient to dry them beyond recovery, such
as the roof of a shed, I'd put the roots in a plastic bag and give 'em
a blast in the microwave oven before putting them on the compost heap.
Or use them to make a poor substitute for coffee.

--
Mike.