Old 27-08-2006, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Biting insects!

On 27/8/06 09:00, in article ,
"Robert Wooster" wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:43:34 +0100, Plantaganet
wrote:

2006 seems to be one of the worst years for biting insects when
gardening, at least it is for me! I only have to step out into my

I had the first fly in the house, that I'd noticed, last week.
My bottle of Avon Skin-so-soft has been unused!

Pam in Bristol

I read the original thread on this subject and have lost the thread (pun!)
can you tell me which Avon product the soldiers were using to protect
themselves
I would like to try it. the Skin-so-soft one may be a bit efemminate for me.
Bob

Maybe this will make you open to the idea. ;-)

"Avon's spray finds calling as midge repellent for Royal Marines
ARTHUR MACMILLAN
THEY are famed for their ability to operate at sea, in the jungle or in the
Arctic wastes and freezing cold of Norway. Battles throughout the centuries
have won the Royal Marine Commandos a reputation as one of the world's elite
fighting forces.
And as the last line of security in guarding Britain's nuclear weapons, they
are pivotal to the Defence of the Realm.

But it appears that on the home front our toughest soldiers are prepared to
pander to their softer side to combat Scotland's most persistent foe: the
midge.
For years the Marines at Faslane who guard nuclear missiles and the
submarines capable of firing them have looked for an answer. They've finally
found it in a brand of women's skin cream.
Instead of using mosquito repellent issued by their unit, soldiers and
workers at the base are buying Avon body lotion to repel midges on the West
Coast. The company traditionally associated with images of well-dressed
women selling cosmetics door-to-door is experiencing an unexpected boom
thanks to the pesky insect. Neil Smith, a Royal Navy spokesman at HMS Clyde,
near Helensburgh, said: "It's not official kit but nothing works better and
the Marines are buying it themselves because the midges are so bad up
there."
The wonder cure is a £5 bottle of dry oil body spray from Avon's Skin So
Soft range. The midge problem at the base where Trident missiles and
Vanguard submarines are stationed is so bad it recently installed a
MidgeEater machine at the front gate. Workers at the camp can often be seen
wearing midge nets on their heads."
http://heritage.scotsman.com/ingenui...?id=1819182005

OTOH, the repellent called OFF may better suit your personal image! You
could even supply your own prefix.....
http://www.offprotects.com/insect-repellent/
--
Sacha