Old 28-08-2006, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lar[_1_] Lar[_1_] is offline

Default Best stuff for removing fire ants from the yard?

In article . com,
says...

Hello,

What is the latest and greatest stuff out there for removing fire ants
from the yard? I recently bought a house that was unoccupied for a few
months and they took over the back yard. They are everywhere and have a
couple of mounds way out in the yard, but are really focused near the
house. I am currently renovating right now, so I don't want them to
move in when I move in. I have a pool and it makes it hard to walk
around bare foot...

Thanks

The best product that I have used for long term yard control is Top
Choice that would have to be applied by a pro (pricey).... the Do It
Yourself version is Over N Out found at the Home Depot type stores. I
haven't used it but it should work well. It's the same active
ingredient just at a different strength than the Top Choice. As
mentioned the logic (growth regulator) and Amdro is also a good long
term aid...but the grits....mmmmm no...the fire ants do not eat solid
foods, so it is sort of hard for them to go pop. And even if it did
cause the larvae to pop after they ate it there would be a two week
period of attrition to see results which is not what you would want for
fire ant control. The easiest control is to keep a sprayer of ANY
general insecticide, natural based or man made, even diluted several
times what is suggested for use should be enough to take care of the
ants and soak the mounds as they appear..after a few weekends you
should be good to go except for the occasional mound that may show up.
--
Lar

to email get rid of the BUGS