Old 28-08-2006, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Best stuff for removing fire ants from the yard?

Hello,

What is the latest and greatest stuff out there for removing fire ants
from the yard? I recently bought a house that was unoccupied for a few
months and they took over the back yard. They are everywhere and have a
couple of mounds way out in the yard, but are really focused near the
house. I am currently renovating right now, so I don't want them to
move in when I move in. I have a pool and it makes it hard to walk
around bare foot...

Thanks

Old 28-08-2006, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 28 Aug 2006 10:52:29 -0700, "johnnymo"
wrote:

Hello,

What is the latest and greatest stuff out there for removing fire ants
from the yard? I recently bought a house that was unoccupied for a few
months and they took over the back yard. They are everywhere and have a
couple of mounds way out in the yard, but are really focused near the
house. I am currently renovating right now, so I don't want them to
move in when I move in. I have a pool and it makes it hard to walk
around bare foot...

Thanks

It isn't instant, but Amdro or Logic are both relatively safe baits
and extremely useful. You can also put out instant grits, which the
ants forage and when the grains expand...boom.
Old 28-08-2006, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article . com,
says...

Hello,

What is the latest and greatest stuff out there for removing fire ants
from the yard? I recently bought a house that was unoccupied for a few
months and they took over the back yard. They are everywhere and have a
couple of mounds way out in the yard, but are really focused near the
house. I am currently renovating right now, so I don't want them to
move in when I move in. I have a pool and it makes it hard to walk
around bare foot...

Thanks

The best product that I have used for long term yard control is Top
Choice that would have to be applied by a pro (pricey).... the Do It
Yourself version is Over N Out found at the Home Depot type stores. I
haven't used it but it should work well. It's the same active
ingredient just at a different strength than the Top Choice. As
mentioned the logic (growth regulator) and Amdro is also a good long
term aid...but the grits....mmmmm no...the fire ants do not eat solid
foods, so it is sort of hard for them to go pop. And even if it did
cause the larvae to pop after they ate it there would be a two week
period of attrition to see results which is not what you would want for
fire ant control. The easiest control is to keep a sprayer of ANY
general insecticide, natural based or man made, even diluted several
times what is suggested for use should be enough to take care of the
ants and soak the mounds as they appear..after a few weekends you
should be good to go except for the occasional mound that may show up.
--
Lar

to email get rid of the BUGS
Old 28-08-2006, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Hello,

What is the latest and greatest stuff out there for removing fire ants
from the yard? I recently bought a house that was unoccupied for a few
months and they took over the back yard. They are everywhere and have a
couple of mounds way out in the yard, but are really focused near the
house. I am currently renovating right now, so I don't want them to
move in when I move in. I have a pool and it makes it hard to walk
around bare foot...

Thanks

It isn't instant, but Amdro or Logic are both relatively safe baits
and extremely useful. You can also put out instant grits, which the
ants forage and when the grains expand...boom.

How about instant grits coated with boric acid powder and a touch of
sugar for good measure?

Bill bit by these guys on visits south

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 28-08-2006, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:16:33 -0400, William Wagner
wrote:

wrote:

Hello,

What is the latest and greatest stuff out there for removing fire ants
from the yard? I recently bought a house that was unoccupied for a few
months and they took over the back yard. They are everywhere and have a
couple of mounds way out in the yard, but are really focused near the
house. I am currently renovating right now, so I don't want them to
move in when I move in. I have a pool and it makes it hard to walk
around bare foot...

Thanks

It isn't instant, but Amdro or Logic are both relatively safe baits
and extremely useful. You can also put out instant grits, which the
ants forage and when the grains expand...boom.

How about instant grits coated with boric acid powder and a touch of
sugar for good measure?

Bill bit by these guys on visits south

Boric acid in soil can be toxic to the structure. I only use boric
acid indoors, and then only in the attic.

Old 28-08-2006, 11:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

johnnymo wrote:
Hello,

What is the latest and greatest stuff out there for removing fire ants
from the yard? I recently bought a house that was unoccupied for a few
months and they took over the back yard. They are everywhere and have a
couple of mounds way out in the yard, but are really focused near the
house. I am currently renovating right now, so I don't want them to
move in when I move in. I have a pool and it makes it hard to walk
around bare foot...

Thanks

The best product I've found is a bait called Logic™. You broadcast it
over the yard and the ant forage it and eventually it kills them off for
a whole season (until your yard is recolonized from your neighbors)

If you have a few hill in high-traffic areas where you can't wait for
the Logic to work, you can use Orthene 75S to kill those, or wait a few
days after using the Logic and then sprinkle those hills with malathion
to drastically reduce their number. (this may reduce the effectiveness
of using the Logic.)

I don't know if Orthene is still listed for use on fire ants, but it
used to be. I didn't use it much because I was afraid it would
contaminate the ground water.

Bob
Old 29-08-2006, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

I have heard from a friend down in Ala (where fire ants got their start) that it does
work. Ingrid

Jangchub wrote:
You can also put out instant grits, which the
ants forage and when the grains expand...boom.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 29-08-2006, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Yes, I know it works. That's why I suggested it.

Jangchub wrote:
You can also put out instant grits, which the
ants forage and when the grains expand...boom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 29-08-2006, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 23:21:02 -0500, Lar
wrote:

And people say and believe that Elvis lives, when in fact they want him
to live and they have seen some one with a resemblance... you can stop
activity on an FA hill by adding grits on top of a mound..as with
water...sand.. numerous things, but that doesn't mean the ants have died
out, just changed the movement patterns hopefully to just a new entrance
way, rather than budding out to several new nest locations. FA can't eat
solid foods, have yet to see a study say that they can and that such
cereal/grain based home remedies do kill ants. Sprinkling grits on a
mound off the patio and noticing they don't seem to be active any longer
but a new one has now shown up nearby can hardly mean the first mound
seen was killed by the remedy.

Fire ants eat bait which is encapsulated in a soy based product. They
regurgitate it one to another till it reaches the Queen. The reason
it is so effective is because it doesn't kill the ants before they can
regurgitate it to the next ant in the line toward feeding the Queen or
Queens of the mound.

Instant grits absolutely works, I've seen ants eating it and when
moisture gets into the material it expands inside the ant.

What Elvis has to do with it is your fantasy, not mine.

Old 17-09-2006, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sorry, but using Instant Grits simply does not work. The theory behind
the use of grits as a fire ant management is that the ants will eat the
grits. And that once in the stomach, the grits will swell causing the
fire ant to explode.

The thought of greedy little ants exploding like popcorn inside their
mounds is very compelling.

· Remember, however, fire ant workers only drink liquids; they are
incapable of ingesting solids. Fire ant larvae will east solid food,
but they chew it up and mix it with saliva just like we do before they
swallow it.

· Grits simply don't work, so any perceived effects are due to
mound disturbance and colony movement. (Don't look so skeptical-it's
true!)

Check out http://www.natural-ant-killer.com for the solution to your
ant problems. For only $19.95 + tax you are guaranteed to get the
results you need!

Old 01-10-2006, 06:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

A high yield nuclear device should yield good results if detonated at ground
level, but the ants will immigrate from adjacent locations thereafter, so
you will need to repeat this treatment periodically. Do evacuate the area
before each treatment.

ups.com...