Old 28-08-2006, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Organic weed control

George.com wrote:
"Adam" wrote in message

[...]
I think I may have hit my first such problem, namely keeping the weeds in

my
lawn under control. The dandelions are doing particularly well at the
moment. My question is are there any organic methods of controlling them,
short of digging each one up individually?

Many thanks for any suggestions

Adam

the absolute best way is with a garden knife and cutting each weed off just
under the soil. Time consuming but quite therapeutic on hot sunny
afternoons.

[...]

Dandelions in particular appreciate this treatment: they reward your
efforts by giving you at least two new crowns for every top you cut
off. An old table knife is one of my favourite garden tools, but you
have to use it to get the whole root out. I've found, though, that any
tip left in place deeper than the length of the blade won't usually
come back if you firm the soil back.

If there isn't somewhere convenient to dry them beyond recovery, such
as the roof of a shed, I'd put the roots in a plastic bag and give 'em
a blast in the microwave oven before putting them on the compost heap.
Or use them to make a poor substitute for coffee.

--
Mike.