Old 28-08-2006, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Best stuff for removing fire ants from the yard?

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:16:33 -0400, William Wagner
wrote:

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On 28 Aug 2006 10:52:29 -0700, "johnnymo"
wrote:

Hello,

What is the latest and greatest stuff out there for removing fire ants
from the yard? I recently bought a house that was unoccupied for a few
months and they took over the back yard. They are everywhere and have a
couple of mounds way out in the yard, but are really focused near the
house. I am currently renovating right now, so I don't want them to
move in when I move in. I have a pool and it makes it hard to walk
around bare foot...

Thanks

It isn't instant, but Amdro or Logic are both relatively safe baits
and extremely useful. You can also put out instant grits, which the
ants forage and when the grains expand...boom.

How about instant grits coated with boric acid powder and a touch of
sugar for good measure?

Bill bit by these guys on visits south

Boric acid in soil can be toxic to the structure. I only use boric
acid indoors, and then only in the attic.