Old 28-08-2006, 11:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Best stuff for removing fire ants from the yard?

johnnymo wrote:
Hello,

What is the latest and greatest stuff out there for removing fire ants
from the yard? I recently bought a house that was unoccupied for a few
months and they took over the back yard. They are everywhere and have a
couple of mounds way out in the yard, but are really focused near the
house. I am currently renovating right now, so I don't want them to
move in when I move in. I have a pool and it makes it hard to walk
around bare foot...

Thanks

The best product I've found is a bait called Logic™. You broadcast it
over the yard and the ant forage it and eventually it kills them off for
a whole season (until your yard is recolonized from your neighbors)

If you have a few hill in high-traffic areas where you can't wait for
the Logic to work, you can use Orthene 75S to kill those, or wait a few
days after using the Logic and then sprinkle those hills with malathion
to drastically reduce their number. (this may reduce the effectiveness
of using the Logic.)

I don't know if Orthene is still listed for use on fire ants, but it
used to be. I didn't use it much because I was afraid it would
contaminate the ground water.

Bob