Old 20-03-2003, 02:08 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Best Fertiliser

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:35:39 -0000, Jack wrote:

What's the best fertiliser to use on perennials in order to get the best
show of flowers? Bonemeal, tomato fertiliser, rose fertiliser, general
purpose fertiliser.... the choice is endless and I'm confused!

Use any cheap general purpose fertilizer. 6-8-6 and 13-6-10 are
common analyses here in Canada.

The plants will take the nutrients they need from the soil.

All the hype about different formulations for different purposes
is (mostly) marketing flack. Pay no attention.

Further: Sunset Magazine in California did an experiment quite a
few years ago to see what relative effect different fertilizer
formulations had on flowering (of annuals, I believe). They
concluded that nitrogen was the key nutrient, the addition of
potassium and phosphorus having little or no effect of flowering.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada