Old 30-08-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Planting out hostas

On 30/8/06 16:01, in article
, "Little Weed"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

How big are they? IOW, would they benefit from being potted up and given
time to grow a bit before being planted out? We imported some Hosta 'Mr
Big' from USA several years ago and gave them a year in pots before either
selling them or planting them out for ourselves.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

To be honest I bought them on ebay and now they have arrived, they are
a tad puny - my instinct tells me that they had better go in pots for
the winter (we're in the lake district, so it WILL be cold). Thanks for
confirming my first thoughts. I do love hostas...know very little about
them, but I'll pot them up now.

Good plan. Ours all overwinter outdoors but our winters are wet and
comparatively mild. The enemy of most things tends to be damp which can rot
off the roots if things are standing about in wet soil for months on end.
Giving yours a chance to beef up a bit is a much better idea.