Old 30-08-2006, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting out hostas

Hi
I have just taken delivery of some hosta plants, which I intended for
around a hedge area. Now I'm just wondering if I should pot them up and
wait for the spring before planting them out?
LW

Old 30-08-2006, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

How big are they? IOW, would they benefit from being potted up and given
time to grow a bit before being planted out? We imported some Hosta 'Mr
Big' from USA several years ago and gave them a year in pots before either
selling them or planting them out for ourselves.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

To be honest I bought them on ebay and now they have arrived, they are
a tad puny - my instinct tells me that they had better go in pots for
the winter (we're in the lake district, so it WILL be cold). Thanks for
confirming my first thoughts. I do love hostas...know very little about
them, but I'll pot them up now.
Cheers
LW

Old 30-08-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/8/06 16:01, in article
, "Little Weed"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

How big are they? IOW, would they benefit from being potted up and given
time to grow a bit before being planted out? We imported some Hosta 'Mr
Big' from USA several years ago and gave them a year in pots before either
selling them or planting them out for ourselves.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

To be honest I bought them on ebay and now they have arrived, they are
a tad puny - my instinct tells me that they had better go in pots for
the winter (we're in the lake district, so it WILL be cold). Thanks for
confirming my first thoughts. I do love hostas...know very little about
them, but I'll pot them up now.

Good plan. Ours all overwinter outdoors but our winters are wet and
comparatively mild. The enemy of most things tends to be damp which can rot
off the roots if things are standing about in wet soil for months on end.
Giving yours a chance to beef up a bit is a much better idea.

Old 30-08-2006, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Does anybody know if I can just split and divide my hostas, and is this time
of year OK to do it?

--
Regards,
Stu Devereux.
"Sacha" wrote in message
On 30/8/06 16:01, in article
, "Little Weed"

Old 31-08-2006, 06:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Devereux" wrote
Does anybody know if I can just split and divide my hostas, and is this
time
of year OK to do it?

Now is a good time. Wait till the foliage dies right back and cut the clump
either with a shap spade or two forks to push it apart. I've used an old
bread knife for teh job on occassion :~))

Jenny

Old 31-08-2006, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" replied to a message:
snip
How big are they? IOW, would they benefit from being potted up and given
time to grow a bit before being planted out?
Sacha

---
Hi Sacha,

Earlier this year I did as you suggest with a species hosta posted to me and
it is struggling, really struggling! I used my own mature leaf mould added
to JI No.2, obviously all is not well.
What mix of potting compost would you suggest for a hosta's wellbeing?

MikeCT

Old 31-08-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/8/06 10:22, in article ,
"MikeCT" wrote:

"Sacha" replied to a message:
snip
How big are they? IOW, would they benefit from being potted up and given
time to grow a bit before being planted out?
Sacha

---
Hi Sacha,

Earlier this year I did as you suggest with a species hosta posted to me and
it is struggling, really struggling! I used my own mature leaf mould added
to JI No.2, obviously all is not well.
What mix of potting compost would you suggest for a hosta's wellbeing?

We use a mix of JI No 3 and a pretty coarse peat based compost and they
seem to do okay.

planting Hostas Romy Beeck Gardening 2 12-07-2005 07:04 PM
Planting Hostas bthache Gardening 6 07-06-2003 04:21 AM
Hostas Kim Bewick United Kingdom 16 13-04-2003 05:56 PM
Hostas in pots Peter James United Kingdom 1 13-04-2003 11:44 AM
hostas ann Gardening 3 19-03-2003 01:32 AM