Old 01-09-2006, 05:14 PM posted to triangle.gardens
[email protected] wdukes@fw.private.neotoma.org is offline

Default BATS Was: Mosquitos, Garlic repellent

On 2006-08-30, Teech wrote:
Actually, I was being dense. I now see the older post about bats.

I was actually thinking about building some bat houses...but have yet
to do any research on whether I might be successful or not.

Anybody out there have any ideas/thoughts about promoting bats as a
mosquito deterrent? Anybody have some good references to a bat house
design? Suggestions for attracting bats to new houses?

And how about the Rabies issue?

From what I have read smaller boxes have the least chance of attracting
bats. Larger houses have a greater than 50% chance of attracting some.
They are temperature sensitive so location is also important. I have a
book on bat houses but have not had a chance to build one. Looks like
it takes most of a sheet of plywood to make a decent one. And you need
a southern or eastern exposure - I think it has been awhile since I read
it.
--
John

Teech wrote:
Maybe i'm being dense...but what does a rabid bat story have to do with
the garlic/anti-mosquito product?

--
John

sarab wrote:
yes, but... what about THIS?

http://www.newsobserver.com/161/story/461962.html

Nosmo King wrote:
In article , "Peter F." wrote:
Our backyard is INFESTED with mosquitos. You could walk outside at any time
of day and within 5 minutes have 10 or 20 bites. There is no standing water
whatsoever in our yard, the gutters are clean. I think we have bad neighbors
is all.

How 'bout this as an alternative:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/nreos/wild/w...mmals/bats.htm

is a garbage address.