Old 02-09-2006, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
DK1000 DK1000 is offline

Default ID flies/bees on garlic chive flowers?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...lowerFlies.jpg

Hi,

I have garlic chives growing in my garden in Cleveland, Ohio. Those flowers
taste so good. I went out to pick some to eat yesterday, and I seen what
looked like small flies or bees all over the flowers, and they fly away when
you get too close. I took a picture, link above (about 1 MB). What are
these, and do these insects being on the flowers ruin the edibility of the
flowers? I eat these flowers raw, and I picked some anyways, and brought
them in and washed them but didn't eat any yet, until I know they are not
tainted by the bugs. I want to try to freeze some of the flowers so I can
use them later. Thanks much.