Old 02-09-2006, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ID flies/bees on garlic chive flowers?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...lowerFlies.jpg

Hi,

I have garlic chives growing in my garden in Cleveland, Ohio. Those flowers
taste so good. I went out to pick some to eat yesterday, and I seen what
looked like small flies or bees all over the flowers, and they fly away when
you get too close. I took a picture, link above (about 1 MB). What are
these, and do these insects being on the flowers ruin the edibility of the
flowers? I eat these flowers raw, and I picked some anyways, and brought
them in and washed them but didn't eat any yet, until I know they are not
tainted by the bugs. I want to try to freeze some of the flowers so I can
use them later. Thanks much.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 12:27:11 -0400, "DK1000"
wrote:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...lowerFlies.jpg

They look like houseflies to me. I have houseflies visiting my chives
too. I don't know why they do that. I've never considered whether
they might contaminate the flowers because I don't eat them.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks for the responses so far. Are you sure these are houseflies? I
thought they looked like houseflies at first too, but they seem a bit
smaller, and I was wondering what houseflies were doing on flowers instead
of manure, so I thought it had to be something else. If it's houseflies, I'm
throwing those flowers out, hard to grasp that dirty, nasty, filthy
houseflies would be feeding on flowers.

Old 04-09-2006, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks all again. Guess I just didn't want to entertain the thought that
those may be houseflies on my food. The nerve of those flies, landing in my
garlic chives. Guess I have no choice but to pick the flowers and throw them
out so the flies won't be attracted there. I won't eat them now, as I was
eating them until I seen the flies on them. The flies must be a newly
hatched batch as they do seem smaller that the average house fly around
here, we get some huge ones.