Old 02-09-2006, 10:03 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

Default non-flowering daffodils

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Jen" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Richard Wright" wrote in message

In my area of Sydney (inner) daffodils mostly come up

non-flowering
in
the second season after planting.

Sydney isn't naturally cold enough for daffodils. You need to

lift
them each year and put then in a paper bag int he crisper section

of
the fridge for 6 weeks before replanting them.

Does anybody know whether the bulbs ever produce flowers in a

season
after one in which they have been non-flowering? I suspect that

once
they have been non-flowering then they will never flower again.

No they just need cold (at least in Sydney). They will reflower

if
treated right.

I did read about digging them up in autumn and putting them in

the
fridge for a couple of months. That didn't work for me.

How long did you put them in the fridge for and did you put them

in a
sunny spot when you replanted them? And they don't like to be
overfed.

I heard that in Australia there is no need to refrigerate.

Well that seems strange advice given the range of climates in Oz.
What climate was the writer talking about? Growing daffs in Hobart is
certainly very different to trying to grow then in Brisbane.

I recently looked up the same problem. It turns out if they're not

planted
deeply enough, they won't flower, and they're bulblets become

non-flowering
bulbs. I'm not sure if this can be fixed.

Small bulbs won't flower so when you separate them from the mother
plant just replant them and give them a while to grow fat and they
should come right.

Do you dead head your daffs? Leaving the seed heads on them can cause
non flowering as can the too shallow planting or dryness or not enough
sun.

I've planted mine deeper now, so I'll see if they flower next year,

if they
don't I think I might take them out and start again with some new

ones.
It's a shame because I had all sorts of varieties.

You have my sympathy as I lost a few varieties in the worst of the
drought.

Do you think they'll come good though??

Jen