Old 02-09-2006, 01:47 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

Default non-flowering daffodils

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Jen" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

I recently looked up the same problem. It turns out if they're

not
planted
deeply enough, they won't flower, and they're bulblets become
non-flowering
bulbs. I'm not sure if this can be fixed.

Small bulbs won't flower so when you separate them from the mother
plant just replant them and give them a while to grow fat and they
should come right.

Do you dead head your daffs? Leaving the seed heads on them can

cause
non flowering as can the too shallow planting or dryness or not

enough
sun.

I've planted mine deeper now, so I'll see if they flower next

year,
if they
don't I think I might take them out and start again with some new
ones.
It's a shame because I had all sorts of varieties.

You have my sympathy as I lost a few varieties in the worst of the
drought.

Do you think they'll come good though??

Yes I do, but there are a few provisos. You need frost or to cold
treat them if you live in a frost free area and you need to grow the
small ones till they are big and fat and plant the daffs in sun (deep
as you know) and deadhead the flowers so that they don't get the fat
seed pod where the flower was. And don't cut or tie the foliage even
though it looks untidy and give them a bit of a feed after flowering
something like tomato food will work.

I'm in Melbourne, we have the frosts. The other things I do. Thanks.
Hopefully next year they'll be right then.

Jen