Old 03-09-2006, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dieter Pietryka Dieter Pietryka is offline

Default ID flies/bees on garlic chive flowers?

They are common flies

Common names Green Bottle - Blow fly (Calliphoridae Phaenicia sp.)

Dieter

"DK1000" wrote in message
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...lowerFlies.jpg

Hi,

I have garlic chives growing in my garden in Cleveland, Ohio. Those
flowers taste so good. I went out to pick some to eat yesterday, and I
seen what looked like small flies or bees all over the flowers, and they
fly away when you get too close. I took a picture, link above (about 1
MB). What are these, and do these insects being on the flowers ruin the
edibility of the flowers? I eat these flowers raw, and I picked some
anyways, and brought them in and washed them but didn't eat any yet, until
I know they are not tainted by the bugs. I want to try to freeze some of
the flowers so I can use them later. Thanks much.