Old 04-09-2006, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
Danny Kewl Danny Kewl is offline

Default ID flies/bees on garlic chive flowers?

Thanks all again. Guess I just didn't want to entertain the thought that
those may be houseflies on my food. The nerve of those flies, landing in my
garlic chives. Guess I have no choice but to pick the flowers and throw them
out so the flies won't be attracted there. I won't eat them now, as I was
eating them until I seen the flies on them. The flies must be a newly
hatched batch as they do seem smaller that the average house fly around
here, we get some huge ones.

"Dieter Pietryka" wrote in message
They are common flies

Common names Green Bottle - Blow fly (Calliphoridae Phaenicia sp.)

Dieter

"DK1000" wrote in message
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...lowerFlies.jpg

Hi,

I have garlic chives growing in my garden in Cleveland, Ohio. Those
flowers taste so good. I went out to pick some to eat yesterday, and I
seen what looked like small flies or bees all over the flowers, and they
fly away when you get too close. I took a picture, link above (about 1
MB). What are these, and do these insects being on the flowers ruin the
edibility of the flowers? I eat these flowers raw, and I picked some
anyways, and brought them in and washed them but didn't eat any yet,
until I know they are not tainted by the bugs. I want to try to freeze
some of the flowers so I can use them later. Thanks much.