Old 04-09-2006, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
misterroy misterroy is offline

Default large scale carrot weeding

My googles got better and I think I've found the solution, and this on
ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cultivator-Pus...QQcmdZViewItem

There are various attachments for the back of a tractor to do the
weeding.

cheers
Sacha wrote:
On 3/9/06 23:20, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 21:01:46 +0100, misterroy wrote
(in article .com):

I grew some carrots and sold them at a local market this year. I sold
40 kg, the market is capable of selling more, I am not so sure I am
capable of weeding much more. I used a mesh to keep carrot fly off and
the weeding was done by hand and by hoe.
How do the farmers weed the carrots? Is there another mechanical way? I
have access to a tractor.

According to The Archers - not that I ever listen of course - g, there is a
mechanical carrot feeder which I think from the description you lie down on
and are propelled up and down the rows while you weed. Saves your back.

One of our nursery staff cannibalised an old car seat and the wheels bit of
an old garden tractor, somehow bolting the two together. It makes a
fabulous gadget for zipping up and down the rows that need weeding!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk