Old 03-09-2006, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default large scale carrot weeding

I grew some carrots and sold them at a local market this year. I sold
40 kg, the market is capable of selling more, I am not so sure I am
capable of weeding much more. I used a mesh to keep carrot fly off and
the weeding was done by hand and by hoe.
How do the farmers weed the carrots? Is there another mechanical way? I
have access to a tractor.

cheers Roy

Old 03-09-2006, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 21:01:46 +0100, misterroy wrote
(in article .com):

I grew some carrots and sold them at a local market this year. I sold
40 kg, the market is capable of selling more, I am not so sure I am
capable of weeding much more. I used a mesh to keep carrot fly off and
the weeding was done by hand and by hoe.
How do the farmers weed the carrots? Is there another mechanical way? I
have access to a tractor.

According to The Archers - not that I ever listen of course - g, there is a
mechanical carrot feeder which I think from the description you lie down on
and are propelled up and down the rows while you weed. Saves your back.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk