Old 05-09-2006, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lionel Lionel is offline

Default Unrotted Manure

"Jane" wrote in message
I have a pile of fresh manure for my allotment. I know the manure has to
rot down in a heap for 6 months to a year before use, however, if the beds
are empty of all crops until spring can I spread the manure on the soil
now
and let it rot in situ?

There's probably a good chance that it will reduce the nitrogen, introduce
fungus and you'd be surprised at how many seeds might pass through the gut
of a horse then germinate: then there are other nasties!. I would not do
it.

I advise looking around for some free pallets. Four of those - even tied
together with a plastic cord - would make an adequate and well ventilated
compost box for a few months. I hope there's some straw in the manure to
assist ventilation. It's as well to cover the box with a large plastic bag
cut open and weighted down with a shovel or two of earth.

Mind you, when using it look out for the slow worms it might have attracted
and if you see an adder, do not kill it, it will scarper quick enough.

Lionel