Old 05-09-2006, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Unrotted Manure

I have a pile of fresh manure for my allotment. I know the manure has to
rot down in a heap for 6 months to a year before use, however, if the beds
are empty of all crops until spring can I spread the manure on the soil now
and let it rot in situ?

Thanks.

Old 05-09-2006, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jane" wrote in message

I have a pile of fresh manure for my allotment. I know the manure has to
rot down in a heap for 6 months to a year before use, however, if the beds
are empty of all crops until spring can I spread the manure on the soil

now
and let it rot in situ?

Thanks.

Presumably it benefits from any heat being generated internally in the
heap. Spreading it on the surface will dissapate any heat and slow down the
decomposition process.

michael adams

Old 05-09-2006, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael adams" wrote in message
:
: "Jane" wrote in message
: ...
:
: I have a pile of fresh manure for my allotment. I know the manure has
: rot down in a heap for 6 months to a year before use, however, if the
beds
: are empty of all crops until spring can I spread the manure on the soil
: now
: and let it rot in situ?
:
: Thanks.
:
: Presumably it benefits from any heat being generated internally in the
: heap. Spreading it on the surface will dissapate any heat and slow down
the
: decomposition process.
:
:
: michael adams
:
: ...
On the other hand you are duplicating the way nature would work

Old 05-09-2006, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jane" wrote in message
I have a pile of fresh manure for my allotment. I know the manure has to
rot down in a heap for 6 months to a year before use, however, if the beds
are empty of all crops until spring can I spread the manure on the soil
now
and let it rot in situ?

There's probably a good chance that it will reduce the nitrogen, introduce
fungus and you'd be surprised at how many seeds might pass through the gut
of a horse then germinate: then there are other nasties!. I would not do
it.

I advise looking around for some free pallets. Four of those - even tied
together with a plastic cord - would make an adequate and well ventilated
compost box for a few months. I hope there's some straw in the manure to
assist ventilation. It's as well to cover the box with a large plastic bag
cut open and weighted down with a shovel or two of earth.

Mind you, when using it look out for the slow worms it might have attracted
and if you see an adder, do not kill it, it will scarper quick enough.

Lionel

Old 05-09-2006, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote in message
news

"michael adams" wrote in message
:
: "Jane" wrote in message
: ...
:
[...]

But nature doesn't usually start off with a blank canvas each season.
Grazing animals don't usually kill off the vegetation on which they
feed. Rather, their grazing actually stimulates it into further growth
in many instances.

michael adams

Old 05-09-2006, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jane" wrote in message
I have a pile of fresh manure for my allotment. I know the manure has to
rot down in a heap for 6 months to a year before use, however, if the
beds
are empty of all crops until spring can I spread the manure on the soil
now
and let it rot in situ?

Leave it in the pile til spring - bury it deep then just below root depth
before planting veg etc.

Scattering it now would be a waste.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 05-09-2006, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam sam is offline

Jane wrote:
I have a pile of fresh manure for my allotment. I know the manure has to
rot down in a heap for 6 months to a year before use, however, if the beds
are empty of all crops until spring can I spread the manure on the soil now
and let it rot in situ?

Thanks.

Horse manure will heat up in a heap.
Cow manure is cold, hence no need to pile it up.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sam" wrote in message
Jane wrote:
I have a pile of fresh manure for my allotment. I know the manure has

rot down in a heap for 6 months to a year before use, however, if the

beds
are empty of all crops until spring can I spread the manure on the soil

now
and let it rot in situ?

Thanks.

Horse manure will heat up in a heap.
Cow manure is cold, hence no need to pile it up.

IIRR cow manure is usually mixed-in with straw or similar bedding
materials when used as a compost. In its raw state it's otherwise
too liquid to handle, never mind pile up, and is mixed with water
to form slurry which is sprayed directly on the fields from tanks.
Presumably it's the straw content which mainly heats up.

michael adams

Old 06-09-2006, 06:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jane" wrote in message

I have a pile of fresh manure for my allotment. I know the manure

has to
rot down in a heap for 6 months to a year before use, however, if

the beds
are empty of all crops until spring can I spread the manure on the

soil now
and let it rot in situ?

Yes, but put some form of mulch on top of it. I do this every winter
on at least one of my veg beds. I use horse manure fresh on the
flower beds in summer and never let it rot first as I consider it a
waste of time. I get get some weeds from it but I'd get them anyway.
The only manure I don't use fresh is hen manure but horse, cow and
sheep are all good straight on any beds covered with a mulch.

Old 06-09-2006, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The only manure I don't use fresh is hen manure but horse, cow and
sheep are all good straight on any beds covered with a mulch.

If wood shavings and sawdust have been used as bedding, it must be rotted
first.

P.S.
I would not like to live next to you if you use pig's manure straight from
the butt!!!

Lionel

Old 06-09-2006, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jane" wrote in message
I have a pile of fresh manure for my allotment. I know the manure has to
rot down in a heap for 6 months to a year before use, however, if the beds
are empty of all crops until spring can I spread the manure on the soil

now
and let it rot in situ?

Thanks.

I reckon you can Jane. Composting it in a pile or compost bin will maybe
destroy some weeds if it gets hot enough and speed up decay into a humus.
Spreading it on the beds is ok however, it will break down. The point about
leaching nutrients out is a point though you run that risk in a composting
system open to the elements as well. The suggestion to mulch over it is
sound, I use old felt carpet underlay. Weeds will sprout from horse poop,
felt underlay allows some moisture to get in to the poop and germinate seeds
but starves them of light. If you want to keep rain off the poop use
plastic. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way, just different problems and
solutions with each. If the poop is mixed with a lot of wood chips and you
are worried about them not breaking down, try mixing in some grass clippings
or used coffee grounds. That will introduce more nitrogen.

As a compromise, why not pile it up on the beds you want to spread it on,
cover it there and leave it to break down. When you want to spread it simply
rake it out from the pile across the bed. You get to rot it down in situ but
can get a good heat through it, protect it from the elements somewhat and
kill any weeds that do germinate through lack of light.

rob