Old 05-09-2006, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams[_2_] michael adams[_2_] is offline

Default Unrotted Manure

"sam" wrote in message
Jane wrote:
I have a pile of fresh manure for my allotment. I know the manure has

rot down in a heap for 6 months to a year before use, however, if the

beds
are empty of all crops until spring can I spread the manure on the soil

now
and let it rot in situ?

Thanks.

Horse manure will heat up in a heap.
Cow manure is cold, hence no need to pile it up.

IIRR cow manure is usually mixed-in with straw or similar bedding
materials when used as a compost. In its raw state it's otherwise
too liquid to handle, never mind pile up, and is mixed with water
to form slurry which is sprayed directly on the fields from tanks.
Presumably it's the straw content which mainly heats up.

michael adams