Old 06-09-2006, 02:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man Stan The Man is offline

Default Mole Ceasefire!

In article , in Normandy\
wrote:

OK I give up, I'm not going to win the war against moles. For every one I
kill another takes its place. Short of putting land mines everywhere in the
garden I've realised they are here for good. Unlike an urban garden, mine is
surrounded by fields on all sides so there is a limitless supply of furry
little excavators. I've put everything in their holes and runs from old
cooking oil, urine to petrol. I've tried traps, gassing and poisoned bait. I
even tried flooding them out - but they just thought I'd made a water flume
to entertain them.

It's time to just accept that the lawn will never be a bowling green.
Similarly with the veg plot. Moles seem to home in on freshly dug and
planted earth. So to tweak an old seed sowing saying.

One for the pigeon,
One for the crow,
One for the mole,
One to rot,
And one to grow..

C'est la vie!

My moles have gone this year - from a lawn which is also surrounded by
fields and was once part of a field. I think that the hot weather in
July has caused shrinkage or some other molecular change in my lawn so
that all the old mole runs are now open to the elements. It has turned
the lawn into an ugly jigsaw of narrow gulleys approx 3in wide and deep
in which an ankle can easily be turned. I'm about to try filling them
with a dressing and reseeding. Trouble is I've got to take a guess on
the grass seed and might end up with a lovely jigsaw pattern on my turf
next year... And then the moles will come back.