Old 05-09-2006, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mole Ceasefire!

OK I give up, I'm not going to win the war against moles. For every one I
kill another takes its place. Short of putting land mines everywhere in the
garden I've realised they are here for good. Unlike an urban garden, mine is
surrounded by fields on all sides so there is a limitless supply of furry
little excavators. I've put everything in their holes and runs from old
cooking oil, urine to petrol. I've tried traps, gassing and poisoned bait. I
even tried flooding them out - but they just thought I'd made a water flume
to entertain them.

It's time to just accept that the lawn will never be a bowling green.
Similarly with the veg plot. Moles seem to home in on freshly dug and
planted earth. So to tweak an old seed sowing saying.

One for the pigeon,
One for the crow,
One for the mole,
One to rot,
And one to grow..

C'est la vie!
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 06-09-2006, 02:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , in Normandy\
wrote:

[...]

My moles have gone this year - from a lawn which is also surrounded by
fields and was once part of a field. I think that the hot weather in
July has caused shrinkage or some other molecular change in my lawn so
that all the old mole runs are now open to the elements. It has turned
the lawn into an ugly jigsaw of narrow gulleys approx 3in wide and deep
in which an ankle can easily be turned. I'm about to try filling them
with a dressing and reseeding. Trouble is I've got to take a guess on
the grass seed and might end up with a lovely jigsaw pattern on my turf
next year... And then the moles will come back.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 20:59:13 +0200, "David \(in Normandy\)"
wrote:

[...]

Shame it took you so long. The sooner some of these idiots realize we
only share nature, it's not exclusive to a warped mind, the better.

Well done.
--

Dr. John Henry "Doc" Holliday Medical Physics Sheriff
Tel 44 1382 0960111 ext. 347 Univ. of DundeeCake, Tenwells Hospital

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%

Malcolm Ogilvie of on the suggestion he
copied Konters book.

" You are making yourself look foolish. The book on Grebes by Andre
Konter that was published in 2001 was entitled 'Grebes of OUR World'.
My book, published only this month, is entitled 'Grebes of THE World',
and as such is entirely different. The similarity of the front covers
is quite coincidental. My book IS the first ever devoted to Grebes.

Malcolm Ogilivie."

KONTER (Andre) - Grebes of our World. Visiting all Species on Five
Continents - 2001, 8vo. 187pp. Colour photographs, line drawings. A
description of the 22 species of grebes, their natural history, ecology
and behaviour.

Grebes of the World
Malcolm Ogilvie
The book starts with an authoritative introduction on the origin,
evolution, distribution, physiology and behaviour of grebes, followed by
accounts of each of the 22 species

Malcolm it looks as though Konter might dispute that statement!

Rob

"Yes, indeed, what I said was wrong and I apologise to Andre Konter,

Malcolm Ogilvie"

The error I made was in a chatty piece about the actual writing of the
book which I posted to a non-birdwatching newsgroup

M Ogilvie

You clearly and explicitly stated that yours was the first book on the
subject, in the full knowledge that the topic had recently been
covered very thoroughly in Konter's book.
The facts speak for themselves. You are a liar who only had the grace
to own up when you had been found out - you even persisted in giving
the impression that you were the first to write it *after* I had drawn
attention to your untruth. Your apology comes a little late.
You do yourself no credit in introducing other, wholly irrelevant
matters in order to deflect criticism from your behaviour. Shame on
you.

Paul

I have personally wrecked the ozone layer and trashed countless green
lanes. I have lost count of the number of farmers' fences weakened by my
straightlining. I have puked on country pub tables, staggered through guy
ropes, crapped in sensitive upland areas, left orange peel on Skye, fondled
the Paps of Nora, stolen bicycles, and, to my shame, once voted liberal.

It is with regret that I note that Richard, aka Big Dick, has opted for the
withdrawal method rather than continue his intercourse with this ng using
suitable protection.

--

Paul Rooney
Old 06-09-2006, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

wrote:

[...]

We share nature, as we share the planet. You would not be welcome in my
garden any more than a mole would be.

I believe that moles,being blind and relying on their sense of hearing and
vibration, are very susceptible to those low-frequency emitters which are
commonly available. I know someone who has used one and has had no more
moles. It is humane, and means that the moles find pastures new (like next
door's garden)

As an aside, may I point out that Americans are the major rapists of the
planet, and that they and only they use the word "dick" as an insult? Just
saying :-)

Old 06-09-2006, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (in Normandy)" wrote ..
OK I give up, I'm not going to win the war against moles.

Balls -- moth balls, that is! I've been chasing a mole around my allotment
for months by putting a mothball in the soil wherever it's dug. The mole
merely moves to another part of the plot but I'm hoping that eventually
it'll move next door!

Old 06-09-2006, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Balls -- moth balls, that is! I've been chasing a mole around my
allotment
for months by putting a mothball in the soil wherever it's dug. The mole
merely moves to another part of the plot but I'm hoping that eventually
it'll move next door!

I thought I'd cracked it with petrol, and under the impression it was
killing them, but after a week or two there were more hills. So perhaps they
were just evacuating to another bunker until the fumes had evaporated. Also
it is an ongoing problem and the garden was starting like an oil refinery! I
think if a careless smoker threw a butt in our direction we were on the
verge of blowing up half of Normandy. Our neighbours would think the Germans
were back again!

Old 06-09-2006, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My moles have gone this year - from a lawn which is also surrounded by
fields and was once part of a field. I think that the hot weather in
July has caused shrinkage or some other molecular change in my lawn so
that all the old mole runs are now open to the elements. It has turned
the lawn into an ugly jigsaw of narrow gulleys approx 3in wide and deep
in which an ankle can easily be turned. I'm about to try filling them
with a dressing and reseeding. Trouble is I've got to take a guess on
the grass seed and might end up with a lovely jigsaw pattern on my turf
next year... And then the moles will come back.

Ditto. Yesterday I used four wheelbarrows full of earth to fill holes in the
lawns made by moles and other ground dwellers - made worse by our black lab
and Westie expanding the holes looking for their inhabitants. Unfortunately
we too have lots of collapsed surface tunnels making the lawns quite unsafe
to walk on without diligence - anyone attempting to play football would
likely get a broken ankle.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I believe that moles,being blind and relying on their sense of hearing and
vibration, are very susceptible to those low-frequency emitters which are
commonly available. I know someone who has used one and has had no more
moles. It is humane, and means that the moles find pastures new (like next
door's garden)

I'd been wondering whether to buy one of those as a last attempt. At least
if I can get them to relocate from freshly planted cuttings and seedlings
back into the lawn that would be something. I've also noticed that moles
dislike the areas of garden that I've limed, so it may be worth trying some
quicklime down their tunnels too - that will make their little eyes water!

I hadn't seen the other persons posting, I think he was one of the first
into my killfile months ago when I started lurking in this newsgroup. When I
observe people being repeatedly rude (to anybody) I take the view that they
have nothing worth listening to, so automatically killfile them.

Old 06-09-2006, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

who wrote this in , I, Marvo, say :

I believe that moles,being blind and relying on their sense of
hearing and vibration, are very susceptible to those low-frequency
emitters which are commonly available. I know someone who has used
one and has had no more moles. It is humane, and means that the
moles find pastures new (like next door's garden)

I'd been wondering whether to buy one of those as a last attempt. At
least if I can get them to relocate from freshly planted cuttings and
seedlings back into the lawn that would be something. I've also
noticed that moles dislike the areas of garden that I've limed, so it
may be worth trying some quicklime down their tunnels too - that will
make their little eyes water!

I'm pretty much against hurting animules, apart from rats (only 'cos of the
disease thing).. However, I don't mind deterrents, in the same way as I'm
not quite sure about shooting pikeys and animal rights activists :-) but I
definitely don't want them on moi laaaaand. The sonic emitter things are
reasonably priced and I understand that once Mr Mole has gone, he doesn't
return. Don't ask me why ... but if it's true you can then sell the machine
once your problem is gone!

I hadn't seen the other persons posting, I think he was one of the
first into my killfile months ago when I started lurking in this
newsgroup. When I observe people being repeatedly rude (to anybody) I
take the view that they have nothing worth listening to, so
automatically killfile them.

Cave! Potestatem obscuri lateris nescis :-)

Sorry, shouldn't have posted his comments, hey weren't very rude though. I
won't post them if they are. Funnily, although these people mean to be
offensive, calling somone a dick isn't (to me, anyway, 'cos my name's not
Richard) and just goes to show, they can't even insult people properly
because they don't speak the same language :-)

UK.rec etc etc.

mole, vole smitty48 Edible Gardening 1 26-10-2003 01:32 AM
mole,vole, ? CaringIsTheFirstStep Edible Gardening 2 15-03-2003 10:20 PM
Mole lairs: 4-5' deep? richard holmes Gardening 12 13-03-2003 03:44 PM
Mole deterrants tulip United Kingdom 17 17-11-2002 02:23 PM
Mole traps! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 3 21-10-2002 05:46 PM