Old 06-09-2006, 06:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Unrotted Manure

"Jane" wrote in message

I have a pile of fresh manure for my allotment. I know the manure

has to
rot down in a heap for 6 months to a year before use, however, if

the beds
are empty of all crops until spring can I spread the manure on the

soil now
and let it rot in situ?

Yes, but put some form of mulch on top of it. I do this every winter
on at least one of my veg beds. I use horse manure fresh on the
flower beds in summer and never let it rot first as I consider it a
waste of time. I get get some weeds from it but I'd get them anyway.
The only manure I don't use fresh is hen manure but horse, cow and
sheep are all good straight on any beds covered with a mulch.