Old 06-09-2006, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Unrotted Manure

"Jane" wrote in message
I have a pile of fresh manure for my allotment. I know the manure has to
rot down in a heap for 6 months to a year before use, however, if the beds
are empty of all crops until spring can I spread the manure on the soil

now
and let it rot in situ?

Thanks.

I reckon you can Jane. Composting it in a pile or compost bin will maybe
destroy some weeds if it gets hot enough and speed up decay into a humus.
Spreading it on the beds is ok however, it will break down. The point about
leaching nutrients out is a point though you run that risk in a composting
system open to the elements as well. The suggestion to mulch over it is
sound, I use old felt carpet underlay. Weeds will sprout from horse poop,
felt underlay allows some moisture to get in to the poop and germinate seeds
but starves them of light. If you want to keep rain off the poop use
plastic. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way, just different problems and
solutions with each. If the poop is mixed with a lot of wood chips and you
are worried about them not breaking down, try mixing in some grass clippings
or used coffee grounds. That will introduce more nitrogen.

As a compromise, why not pile it up on the beds you want to spread it on,
cover it there and leave it to break down. When you want to spread it simply
rake it out from the pile across the bed. You get to rot it down in situ but
can get a good heat through it, protect it from the elements somewhat and
kill any weeds that do germinate through lack of light.

rob