Old 06-09-2006, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Big Tree

"Mike" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a big tree over looking our garden which is blocking out light,
view etc. Nobody seems to own the land that the tree is on ( We have
tried the land registry) and nobody seems to know what sort of tree it
is!
We would love to know what variety of the tree is and how best to
"top"it and "trim" it.

Anybody that could help I can send a photograph.

Regards

Put a fence/rope/boundary around the land with a notice that is is yours

and
date it.

One of a few things will happen, either the land owner will pop up and say
"Oi it's mine" and you can tackle him (Make sure that he IS the land owner
and not someone 'claiming to be' the land owner). Or the Council will pop

up
and say it's their's. Same routine applies/ Or a neighbour will challenge
you and ask questions, in which case you ask them to prove who owns it,

but
leave your boundary up. Or in seven years time, it's yours and you can do
what you like, (within reason) with it and thus chop down that by now,

huge
tree. Unless some rotten sod has put a TPO on it. But they can be removed

Mike. That is an interesting process. What is the history behind such
legalities?

rob