Old 07-09-2006, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Are my apples ripe?

Broadback wrote:
Well how do I tell? There are not many of some varieties, so I don't
want to pick and try if I can avoid it, as if it is not ripe that is a
waste.

I picked some unripe apples today and stewed them with some overripe
rhubarb, then ate them with some tinned custard...I wanted apple & rhubarb
crumble but it wasn't to be....my suggestion therefore is to pick what you
want, when you want to eat it, you may have a glut of them all at once in a
few weeks time and if they''re still a bit sharp, they can be cooked with a
little sugar.