Old 07-09-2006, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Are my apples ripe?

Well how do I tell? There are not many of some varieties, so I don't
want to pick and try if I can avoid it, as if it is not ripe that is a
waste.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Well how do I tell? There are not many of some varieties, so I don't
want to pick and try if I can avoid it, as if it is not ripe that is a
waste.

Gently support and grip it in your cupped hand and give it a very gentle
twist. If it is ripe and ready, it will fall into your hand. If not, leave
it :-))

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 07-09-2006, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 17:06:13 +0100, "Mike" wrote and
included this (or some of this):

Gently support and grip it in your cupped hand and give it a very gentle
twist.

Some people pay good money for this sort of thing, you know.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

Old 07-09-2006, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Broadback writes
Well how do I tell? There are not many of some varieties, so I don't
want to pick and try if I can avoid it, as if it is not ripe that is a
waste.

Place your hand under an apple and gently lift it. If it comes off, it
is ripe.
They don't all ripen at the same time. Varieties are ready for picking
any time between August and late Oct/early Nov, and even on the same
tree, those which get more direct sun ripen earlier.

Lots of windfalls trends to mean the apples on that tree are ready for
picking - the odd windfall is usual, even if the apples aren't yet ripe.

Very late ripening apples need picking in Oct/Nov but will continue to
ripen in store.

Apples will continue to ripen even if picked unripe, but some varieties
(eg Worcester) do not develop full flavour.

If you only have one or two on some trees, you could try putting a net
(eg old stocking) over them, so that if you do leave it too late and
they fall, they land in the net not on the ground, and don't get
damaged.
--
Kay
Old 07-09-2006, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
Well how do I tell? There are not many of some varieties, so I don't
want to pick and try if I can avoid it, as if it is not ripe that is a
waste.

I picked some unripe apples today and stewed them with some overripe
rhubarb, then ate them with some tinned custard...I wanted apple & rhubarb
crumble but it wasn't to be....my suggestion therefore is to pick what you
want, when you want to eat it, you may have a glut of them all at once in a
few weeks time and if they''re still a bit sharp, they can be cooked with a
little sugar.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil L wrote:
Broadback wrote:
Well how do I tell? There are not many of some varieties, so I don't
want to pick and try if I can avoid it, as if it is not ripe that is a
waste.

I picked some unripe apples today and stewed them with some overripe
rhubarb, then ate them with some tinned custard...I wanted apple & rhubarb
crumble but it wasn't to be....my suggestion therefore is to pick what you
want, when you want to eat it, you may have a glut of them all at once in a
few weeks time and if they''re still a bit sharp, they can be cooked with a
little sugar.

Thanks for your help folk, I now know (and have picked) my Scotch
Dumpling whereas the others are not yet ripe. Can I assume that testing
for pear ripeness is the same?
Old 09-09-2006, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Broadback writes
Phil L wrote:
Broadback wrote:
Well how do I tell? There are not many of some varieties, so I don't
want to pick and try if I can avoid it, as if it is not ripe that is a
waste.

I picked some unripe apples today and stewed them with some overripe
rhubarb, then ate them with some tinned custard...I wanted apple &
rhubarb crumble but it wasn't to be....my suggestion therefore is to
pick what you want, when you want to eat it, you may have a glut of
them all at once in a few weeks time and if they''re still a bit
sharp, they can be cooked with a little sugar.

Thanks for your help folk, I now know (and have picked) my Scotch
Dumpling whereas the others are not yet ripe. Can I assume that
testing for pear ripeness is the same?

No, I don't think so. They seem to stay impossible to pick easily, then
suddenly fall off while at peak of perfection, and turn to mush within
days. I've never got to grips with pears.
--
Kay
Old 11-09-2006, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
Can I assume that testing for pear ripeness is the same?

Pears are slightly different in that you generally pick pears under
ripe, whilts still firm and allow to ripen. That way they will keep if
kept cool. If picked ripe they rot from the inside, so when you cut
them open the core is rotten, but the outside appears fine.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire
who spent a pleasant day at Cannon Hall, Barnsley enjoying their Pear
Day. Such a warm sunny day came back like a lobster!