Old 20-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] eastern red cedar

hello all,
i have an eastern red cedar i planted in my yard last
year and i was gonna use it for bonsai in a couple of
years. here's the question:
does brown foliage on this tree mean its dead?
i used my fingernail to scrape away a tiny peice if bark
and found that underneath it is still green. BUT i have
heard that junipers die from the roots up. should i worry?

Is this brown-brown or purple-brown? Red cedars change color in
winter, and turn (depending on the individual) greyish or purplish.
When spring comes, the green color will return. However, if the
color is straw-tan or nasty brown, the tree is having a problem.

A juniper will die from the roots up if it is stricken with root rot.
It will die from the top down if it has a twig blight. Let us know
what kind of brown you're talking about, and we'll try to narrow it
down.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Riverhead, NY