Old 08-09-2006, 08:05 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
a_plutonium a_plutonium is offline

Default Is there a Secondary Publisher for out of print books?? colleges! beware of your copy of SILVICS of N.A. HARDWOODS, Burns & Honkala; for Amazon values it at $2,184

a_plutonium wrote:
a_plutonium wrote:
For some years now I have tried to buy a copy of SILVICS OF NORTH
AMERICAN HARDWOODS, Russell Burns and B. Honkala, June 1990. Which was
a US govt printed book sold for $33 in the 1990s but appears to have
gone out of print and put onto computer format to download. Trouble is
that the pictures are not able to be downloaded. Occasionally Amazon
had some sellers for about $200.

I remember colleges and university libraries used to have many of their
books sent to binders. So I wonder if some place makes photocopy
reprints of various books.

In the case of SILVICS by Burns and Honkala as tree reference books are
so valuable for botany and horticulture that I cannot imagine why
someone is not making them available as reprints. Instead of turning
them into collectibles as a money making proposition, these books need
to be available to those that need constant reference.

Can the govt printing press, reprint these two SILVICS volumes of
Conifers and Hardwoods.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium