Old 09-09-2006, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg Chris Hogg is offline

Default Camellia japonica

On 9 Sep 2006 09:20:37 -0700, wrote:

Hello, I'm new to this group and I was wondering if I can get some
advice.
I live in London and I have a small north-facing garden. I've just
noticed - with much surprise- that my Camellia japonica is in the
process of producing flowers (!), yes, in September! I would normaly
expect to see the first buds in March.. Can this be caused by the
unusual weather we just had?
Many thanks

Silvia

The occasional flower on c. japonica at this time of year isn't
unusual, as with a few other ericaceous species, e.g. rhododendrons.
Day length is thought to have an influence, but as you say, weather
also plays a part.

--
Chris